1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gravity Picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BullHorn, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Hey guys, I got a pair of Gravity picks from Chris @ http://gravitypicks.com and wanted to share my opinion about them. I really like how they feel in my hand and the impact they have on my tone.

I have the Classic Standard 3mm.

[​IMG]

It's tough and allows for accurate picking. The way the edge is cut allows you to sound more aggressive while picking lightly. I think it's my favorite pick because I used to really like the aggressiveness of thin picks (0.7-0.9) but hated how 'floppy' and inaccurate they felt.

I also got the Striker Standard 1.5mm

[​IMG]

I love this shape, you can use any of the pick's sides if you happen to mix in fingerpicking/slapping with your pick playing or if the pick somehow ends up sliding out of your fingers. By being 1.5mm, the angle of the cut on the edges is not as steep as the 3mm pick above so it gives a much rounder tone but there's still a lot of 'bite'.

Each pick can be customized with widths ranging from 0.75mm to 3mm as well as sizes.

[​IMG]

Time to get rid of all my skinny picks. :)
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What are they made of? Plexiglas?
  3. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Judging by the info on the website it's a secret.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do you have to sign a NDA to buy them?
  5. jeffbonny

Nope, just pony up and don't ask questions pal.

Those clear ones remind me of the first generation of 1mm Dunlop Big Stubbies. They were clear too and damned if you could ever find one after you set it down.
  6. BullHorn

BullHorn

'Boutique' picks are not for everyone but if you want to sound or feel different, that's the thing for you.
  7. jeffbonny

I use Blue Chip picks which are about as boutique as they get. ;)
    I am curious about Gravity picks though and just ordered three 1.5mm Axis Big Minis. The size and shape look really good and I got one in every finish option.
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How much are these things? It seems as though the prices given are for (1) one pick?
  9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I ordered some several months ago, really liked them even though they are pricey, and promptly lost all of them. They are nice though.
  10. jeffbonny

Yep. $5-10 each depending on the finish. That's still much less than half the price of a single Blue Chip.
  11. BullHorn

BullHorn

I have a tiny pick-holder thing glued to the back of my bass's neck's head so I never lose any picks. It can hold like 3-8 picks depending on their thickness. :)
  12. Landy67

Landy67 Supporting Member

13. jeffbonny

They definitely have distinct sound and fast feel that a lot of people like. The downside is they wear FAST so you're always reshaping them and replacing them. Anyone who digs the tortoise shell feel should try a Blue Chip. Same slick, fast feel on the strings only it'll last for years of heavy use.
  14. Tupac

Tupac

If Chris Squier didn't none of dem fancy picks, you shouldn't either!
  15. pnchad

pnchad

I'm in the wrong figgin' bidness - $20 for a pick Whaaaaa?
  16. electracoyote

electracoyote

I tried some. They are very nice, feel great, play great, and made to exacting detail. Unfortunately, they wear too fast for me to make them a staple.
  17. jeffbonny

From the Blue Chip website:
    I'm sure the same basic idea applies to Gravity Picks. No one is getting rich hand making picks.
  18. Derio

Derio

I use a Jazz III for bass, but that big mini looks sexy..

how does it compare to the Jazz? I just bought a 20pack of the extra grip Jazz's for $9, is the thing..
  19. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I just got some Genuine Graphite Adamas picks last week and I like them but I think I will try those Blue Chip picks.
  20. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Wow just checked the prices and saw my first $ 75.00 pick they must be incredible