1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gravy!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bloodhammer, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

Let's talk about gravy. What's your favorite kind? What do you put it on? What's you're definition of it? Is spaghetti sauce gravy? Is au jus gravy? What's the etymology of the word gravy?

Gravy as slang - I'm going off the rails of the gravy train!

To gravy or not to gravy?

Have I lost my mind?

[​IMG]
  2. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Gravy should be white and thick and creamy!
  3. elgecko

elgecko

I suspect gravy is more popular down south than it is in California but damn if biscuits and gravy isn't one of the most delicious breakfast items ever!
  4. bassteban

bassteban

I likes most all gravy but prefer the white stuff. And I think it's likely more common in Nor Cal than south, but what do I know
  5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Im down for some biscuits and gravy, so long as sausage was not used in the white gravy (blasphemy to some, Im sure).

You can find white gravy at lots of places in SoCal. Chicken fried steak was a favorite of mine before going veggie.
    Brown gravy on mashed potatoes was pretty gravy, too. And some au jus (gravy or not, I dont know) was great with a french dip roast beef!
  6. Bloodhammer

I like all gravy, but what I usually make is a rich brown gravy for pouring over ........... well.............everything?

Step 1) I make a dark brown roux out of flour and olive oil

Step 2) I make a really really concentrated beef stock out of boiling water and this stuff:

[​IMG]

Step 3) I slowly (very slowly!!!!) pour the stock into the roux while stirring with a whisk

Step 4) I pour it all over the floor and make "snow angels"
  7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost

Sausage or bacon gravy. Home made not from a can or package. Cast Iron is preferable to it's construction :) Yeah, I'm that picky. Grandma did that to me.
  8. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

9. Bloodhammer

10. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

11. Bloodhammer

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

Gravy puking frogs do not an appetizer make.
  13. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

Yeah. Imma gonna have to be sigging that.
  14. bassteban

bassteban

Are you KIDDING me? It's an *accoutrement* which, being French, PROVES it's extra high-falutin and snobby. :)
  15. bassteban

bassteban

:)
  16. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

My favourite kind of gravy comes from a local place called "Phog Lounge", they make it from scratch to put on poutine.

"What do you put it on?" Poutine of course, turkey, chicke, etc...

as for a definition - it's a sauce made from the juicy drippings from some kind of meat. What else is there to define?

Etymology, I'm not sure of, but I will say that spaghetti sauce is not gravy - at least not the tomato-based sauce that I'm accustomed to. Au jus, to be honest, I would say yes and no - it's basically gravy, but it's thinner than most gravies that I come across. So I'm not entirely sure. I'll say "yes" though, given that as far as I know it's made from meat drippings (the drippings made from cooking the meat, not blood/raw meat juices).
  17. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

See,I'd have to think of that as more of a post-prog rock name myself.
  18. bassteban

bassteban

Tack on *a-billy* and you have my current project. I like to blur the lines... :)
  19. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

20. darius8

darius8

Gravy is also a dinner saver. If you burned the steaks, put some gravy on it. If the potatoes taste like bleh, put some gravy on it.