Great bassist with a pick...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Some bassist I will check out are Dave Ellefson, Adam Clayton, Zeta Bosio, Flea, Tom Hamilton, John Deacon, Justin Chancelor, Cliff Williams. Any challenging bass lines to learn to develop accuracy, speed and good technique???
  2. M.Wrenn

M.Wrenn

Scott Thunes was and is amazing with a pick, try out the transcription of "Alien Orifice" (From Frank Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here) that Bass Player Magazine did awhile back. Great stuff.

As for the others, Tool stuff is great for getting really comfortable with odd meters and getting solid time. John Deacon is melodic as hell, but I'm not sure how often he used a pick.
    The metal stuff is great for technique, but check out Bobby Vega's pickstyle funk, super musical and fluid.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All of them. And check out Carol Kaye and Steve Swallow while you're at it.
  4. M.Wrenn

M.Wrenn

Can't believe I forgot Carol and Steve, HUGE +1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spectrum

Spectrum

Speaking of Tool, I've been listening to a lot of early stuff with Paul D'Amour on bass. Some awesome pick playing there. Check out Cold and Ugly and Hush. I prefer his style to Justin Chancelors, at least at the moment. Mabye because early Tool is more rock and less prog.

Also, Burke Shelly of Budgie is a great pick player.
  7. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Justin and Chris Squire are my pick heroes and just bass heroes for that matter. But I love Bobby Vega he can play more smooth and groovy with a pick than just about anyone I can think of with fingers or anything else for that matter..frozen fish, toothbrush whatever !
  8. amoodymule

amoodymule

Allen Woody (Gov't Mule/ABB) was/is one I always enjoy.....RIP
  9. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Berry Oakley. The guy was an absolute beast. I've essentially learned to play a pick to his lines, it's really helped improve my pick playing. His work in every version of Mountain Jam (obviously the Fillmore East version, but check out the 44 minute Ludlow Garage version too) is just fantastic.
  10. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Chris Squire.
  11. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

There are a couple of ok pick players on this list.

Accuracy, speed and good technique are more dependent on the amount and quality of your practice than on copping specific parts. If I were going to recommend a guy to steal from though Mark Ranson absolutely kills on this live version of Sonny Landreth's Congo Square from the Grant Street Live recording.
  12. foq1978

foq1978

Paul Mcartney and Mark Sandman make me wish I 'd learn to use a pick...
  13. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Bobby Vega - there is no equal IMHO
    just check out any of the number of youtube vids out there.

honourable mention goes to Hellmut Hattler

:bassist:
  14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Uh, Glenn Hughes.
  15. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

It's nice that everyone wants to jump up and yell the name of their favorite player (I did it myself) but if you read the OP above it's pretty he's looking for SPECIFIC RECORDINGS.

Try and keep up people.
  16. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    Plus one to Squire, he is in my eyes the most impressive pick player.
    And can add Mike Rutherford from Genesis, Dave Meros from Spock's Beard, John Wetton from King Crimson, UK, Asia etc, Pete Trewaves from Marillion and Transatlantic, Miguel Falcao which is the best man on Squire bass covers. McCartney no need to add.

Edit, forgot Greg Lake, his stuff on ELP and King Crimson is solid.
  17. Nick Dilley

Nick Dilley

Jason Newsted is crazy good (decent vocalist, too), even though you can't necessarily tell from most of Metallica's music. Dave Ellefson, of course. For challenging stuff, ever try "Blackened" from ...And Justice for All, or anything from Megadeth's Rust in Peace?

Paul McCartney is the man, too. Sometimes if you don't listen carefully, you can't hear all the great stuff he does because of the old recordings. Try "Penny Lane" (yes, "Penny Lane) for something that is moderately difficult in terms of shifting position all over the neck, and something that's musically interesting, but otherwise fairly simple. McCartney does what I love, which is play variations of a riff all the time. Memorizing those variations will help with your musical memory, too! And that can be difficult to develop, in a different way than chops.
  18. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy.
    He was not the most technical bass player, but his groove was impeccable.

+1 on Glenn Hughes

Also, take a look at Greg Lake.
  19. ant'

ant'

Anthony Jackson !
  20. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

21. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

+10 to Greg Lake. The stuff he played in Karn Evil 9 is pretty fun. Even if I can't find a track/tab for most of it.