1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Great cities to make money for playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Aug 25, 2013.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I'm looking to relocate. I currently live in a small dinky town that has a love for music that only goes as far as what they can download and play in their cars. Thats a majority, but a few folk around here really want to go see some live shows.

Anyways, I'm looking to relocate to a city that has a great scene for music. I'm a bassist, very dedicated and that is of course not all of what it takes to make money. I just want to be able to make roughly 400 - 600$ a month doing this. If not, it's for the love of it all.

Does anyone have any kind cities in mind that has a great music scene possibly looking for bassists?
  2. wighat

wighat

My experience from playing in both is that there is more opportunity and much better pay in medium-sized towns than in the city.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Fantasy Island.

You might try NYC, LA, or Nashville, but you'd just be the latest one in a long, long queue for any jobs.
  4. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

All the cities mentioned above...

...in 1980.
  5. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

I'd say anywhere that's either established, like Austin, TX, or an area that's sprawling and building entertainment venues. No matter which, you'll find plenty of competition with other musicians so get your chops up. Good luck!
  6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Or maybe 1960. :meh:

Definitely don't come to Omaha. We have a beautiful, clean city with super awesomely cheap cost-of-living but, on the flip side, super-not-so-awesomely-low-paying everything, and that includes music and non-music jobs alike.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Durham, NC.
  8. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

I live in Nashville. Tons of opportunities + tons of bassists = saturated market. I had more luck when I lived in Knoxville! Towns with universities are good too. I hear Austin, TX is nice. I used to live in Dallas and there was a pretty good music scene there, nice city too.
  9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Problem with the larger cities is that the market is saturated with musicians looking for the same gig you are! As others have suggested a smaller city may be the place to go. Less competition and lower cost of living. Depending on what kind of music you play you might check out Branson, MO. It's known as the Las Vegas of the Midwest. Many live musical acts perform there year round, mostly country and bluegrass. Branson is not a big city but it's about 45 minutes from Springfield, which is a nice small city with a decent music scene too.
  10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

^^^
    But if you like a fast pace of life, you will NOT find it in Branson—something to consider when you are assessing various local music scenes.

The only time I was in Branson—it was for about a week—I had to hunt for a bar to drink in. :rollno:
  11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've been in Branson for a while. The big boom here was the early '90s. It's been in a slow decline since, IME. With Andy Williams passing, we lost the last of the "name" acts here. Since the 2008 crash, shows are paying less and doing fewer dates. Most guys are having to do more and more road dates to make ends meet. You're welcome to join us here, but I wouldn't expect to land a decent show gig. You might have more success in Springfield (about 35 miles away). More of a college town and more bar gigs. Probably not a lot of money, but would probably also be more fun as long as you are not depending on it to survive.
  12. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

That's a bummer! I have been to Branson several times and it always seems busy there. I guess tourists are doing other things besides going to shows.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Springfield is a happening little town. Particularly for original bands. The market for cover bands is WAY better in STL.

It would help if we knew where the OP was located and what type of gig he was looking for.
  14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    It's picked up the last couple years, but it has not resulted in shows increasing their schedule or paying more. I'm currently working 3 shows now and it's still less work and money than when I was with Andy. :meh:
  15. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

St. Louis might work for you.
  16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

^ this is the answer ^
  17. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Cover bands are doing well in the St. Louis area. I live and mainly play in Illinois. Original local bands pretty much don't make money in STL.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Very true.

I could be in 10 bands right now if I wanted to. Bass players are still a hot commodity around here. The problem is that most cover bands ( everywhere, not just here) suck. This is why I started my own band and hand picked my band mates.
  19. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

The job market wasn't very good, but I used to live in Kenosha,WI and there were a lot of musical opportunities between Chicago & Milwaukee.
  20. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

Wealthy suburbs = lots of action for cover bands

Urban arts districts = high interest in original music