Great deal? Or in over my head? Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Found a USA made Ampeg BA-115 for sale locally.

The amp does not power on, (no light)
    I've not had any chance to see exactly why it seems to not power on.

Seller is a minister looking to clean out his church's music closet and has no idea why it won't turn on.

He has even offered to accept it back if its not just something simple. Seems like a REALLY nice, trustworthy, good guy from the hour or so I hung around and talked with him. I definitely believe I'm dealing with a straight shooter, and not just being fed a spoonful of BS.

He was asking $200 and we settled on $120 out the door due to the questionable power issue.

So my question is, should I grab it and take the risk?
    Or walk away?

I love projects and wouldn't mind really trouble shooting the issue.
    Advice/opinions welcomed and requested, really torn on what to do!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. bertbass666

bertbass666

I'd go for it.
  3. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

No Way!!!

That combo in good working conditions goes for 140ish used around here, Im not sure where local to you is though. Unless you're just dying to have that model, and can fix it your self, you're buying an expensive problem.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I wouldn't do it.
    Most repair shops will want $50 - 75 just to look at it.
    Even if it's a simple repair with low cost parts, I could easily see the repair bill being $120+.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Thanks guys the advice is much appreciated.

I've not seen one around here for under $200, most even slighter higher.

Kinda figured $120 was decent if it turned out to only be a simple fix.
    What I don't want is to get myself in over my head here.
  7. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I fix amps myself and there's no way I'd pay $120 for it "as-is". Now, if I could open it up and find out why it doesn't power up, *maybe* it might be a quick fix. (for example, I've seen a wire break off of the fuse holder, a dab of solder and it's good to go).

But I've also seen power transformers that had burned out...a new transformer (if it's even still available) will cost more than the amp is worth--and in that case, why did the old transformer fail? Shorted output transistors?

If an amp doesn't work, I don't want to pay much for it. Too much of a gamble even though I can fix them myself.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Around here, most bench fees to even open an amp up are at least $75. Probably not a great deal for you.
  9. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

$120 for a non-working combo with no desirable parts is a rip off pretty much no matter how you slice it.

If you actually have experience fixing stuff like this (keeping in mind it might have a serious problem or multiple problems), then MAYBE $50-75 would be an ok price. If he'd already taken it to a tech who told him exactly what the problem was and it would be a $50-75 fix then MAYBE $120 would be an ok price.

Anyway, not like he needs to make money on it. God will provide, right? I say offer him a low enough amount that you won't care if all you get out of it is selling the speaker for $25 on ebay.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the bad deal. You can get that thing for that price working, I wouldn't pay more than $50 in parts.

Plus I had a BA210 that a pro couldn't fix, the BA series has issues. You might be getting in over your head and or buying something that is FUBAR.
  11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Thanks guys, seems like the decision is unanimous!

It has been decided.
    Still looking, and after the endless power issues I've now read on these, it won't be for a BA series Ampeg combo.
    I was under the impression they had a pretty good reputation.
    And MANY may very well be great.
    But a quick Google search reveals LOTS have issues.

Thanks again.
    Maybe I'll just hold out and buy a head and cab with more head room, that I can build on over time.
  12. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Just a hunch, but with Tax refunds coming out, I think there is going to be a beautiful little window of opportunity for those shopping used gear soon.
  13. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

Or perhaps selling good used gear to pay the tax man.
  14. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I feel for them if that is the case.:(
  15. MakoMan

MakoMan

Did you check to see if it was just a blown fuse?
  16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    "Just" a blown fuse usually means there is something else wrong that caused the fuse to blow.
  17. MakoMan

MakoMan

'usually' being the operative word. This particular amp appears to have been sitting in a church music closet for who knows how long. Some kid could have simply pulled the fuse out of it to try in guitar amp that had a blown fuse. Anyway, just a thought. I might also try a different power cord.
    Myself I'd offer 50-75 bucks and take a chance. At the very least one could make a cabinet out of it and if it turned out to be something simple that would be gravy.
  18. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Not a chance. That line isn't even a good series let alone a piece that doesn't even work. I'd take it maybe if he was paying ME $200...