1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Great Gig That You Didn't Think Would Be?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Well, I probably had the second best gig of my life on Saturday night. Funny thing was, I wasn't excited going into it.

Our manager booked us at a place we hadn't played before, for short money ($300). We had a gap in our schedule, they wanted a band, and it was better than not playing this weekend. To boot, she told us the bar owner was kinda demanding and specific about what we wanted played (Classic Rock ONLY). So we tailored our setlist and went up there.

We got there and he met us early. Seemed like a decent enough fellow, but laid down the house rules. NH state law prohibits alcohol on stage. Check, no problem for us. Couldn't set equipment up in certain places due to fire codes. Check. Did our soundcheck..."You're too loud" (Umm...we advertise as a loud band...). Here we go for a night of suckage. Owner tells Pete "Well, I'm sort of on the fence with the whole live band thing. I'm leaning toward Karaoke nights or DJ's, but we'll give you guys a try." Great. Wonderful.

We get going right on time, 9:00 on the nose. As pros, we gave 100% like always. Crowd starts off kinda slow, but luckily we had a table close by that was pre-liquored up before we started. They were getting into it early, and we fed off the energy of these 10 or 12 people. Then, about 9:30 the crowds started to roll in. And it picked up a lot. We played pretty well. And we slowly cranked up the volume to our normal levels.

We go on our first break and the owner talks to us. Says he's leaving soon, but he loves what we are doing and he's already had a bunch of regulars tell him that they love our band. Says our money is behind the bar, and he wants us back at least once next month, if not twice. Nice!

Second set rolls around and...more people. A lot of younger people, mostly women, showing up now. And they really don't want Classic Rock, we think. So we decide to switch up on the fly and dump half of what we planned to do in favor of our more modern, dance-friendly tunes. And they really liked it. And the old saying proves true.....get the girls up dancing and the place comes to life. Bartenders are hopping. Place is hopping. And we feel it's a good time to do....what it is we do. Crowd is into it. Lots of antics going on, and suddenly I'm having a fantastic time. We had some "unscheduled" drunk fill in singers (one was a super smokeshow girl....crowd loved her, too), gave away some tee shirts, and I was volunteered up by the band to go do a shot with the original "table group" that was there at the start of the night. I don't usually drink when I play, but this group was very insistent and I was the sacrificial lamb. Overall, it was a really cool party.

We end the night a couple hours later to a still-packed house. Bartender tells us it's one of the best nights she can remember, and she's going to push to make us a regular thing there. It's a great feeling when you keep them there until closing. I have to say, it was probably my second favorite gig I've ever played. And to think I really didn't want to go there.

So, have you ever had a gig you thought would suck that turned out great?

2. NWB

NWB

How about a pic of "smokeshow girl"?

3. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

of course!
    notable one was several years ago, had someone contact us via website about flying us to Calgary for a one off gig.
    Sent the standard performance agreement, it was signed and returned with 50% deposit on performance fee. Fine.

We had no idea what to expect, but plane tickets arrived, we were given full itinerary of our weekend events via email. Sure, whatever, we really didn't think it was going to go off that well.

Well we get off the plane, and there is a limo there with a driver holding sign for us.
    arrive at the hotel, and there is an envelope with cash for food & drinks, as well as a map of interesting places to see & eat.

Gig was at a very cool club. Soundcheck was awesome, great sound system.
    At this point, we still had our doubts if there really was going to be that many metalheads in Calgary.

back to the venue after dinner & drinks, place is packed, wall to wall, merch was almost sold out already and it was still early.

Set went well, got a good video out of it an photos, the whole bit.

Flew home Sunday afternoon feeling like rock stars.

4. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I know....I know.....no pics, it didn't happen.....:meh:

But honestly, it did. She was about 5'8" or so, slender, long straight reddish hair, wearing black yoga pants, the typical pirate boots all those girls wear, and a snug black shirt. Oh, she had those hipster glasses, too. She picked out Skynyrd's "Simple Man" as her song, and she did awesome. The only drawback....was the hit-you-in-the-face smell of hard booze and cigarettes that was emitting from her mouth when she talked to me....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Sounds like you had a really awesome gig, Jerry!

My best gig so far is also our most recent. We usually play at a small sports bar once a month..they pay, but it isn't much and sometimes the turnout is pretty low. We played on a Friday night, and woke up late Saturday morning to a bunch of messages on my phone. It turns out that a venue that I had talked to back in January wanted us to play that Saturday night!! The guitarist and drummer were on the fence, but I managed to convince them to play, especially after they found out the pay.

I get to the place before the drummer and guitarist show up, and the place is pretty busy already (it is an Irish style restaurant and pub). The manager shows us were to set up and we get busy. The guitarist voices concerns about volume (not a joke), and I respond by telling him to listen to the noise level already in the place. Like BayStateBass's band, we're a loud band. We start on time at 9 and the response was, well, a little lack-luster. I could see that people were enjoying what we were playing (singing along, bobbing their heads in time with the music, etc), they just weren't applauding much. No biggie. We get to our break and I go ask a few patrons about how we are sounding and if we're too loud. They say that we're great and the volume level is perfect. Sweet! We go back on and apparently the party people have now shown up. It started simple enough..a rather cute girl and her boyfriend dancing along to what we are playing...but that changed during one particular song. We are a covers band, but we have one original song that evolved from a simple slap riff that I was doing at rehearsal one day. I started the song out with some slapping and a group of 15-20 come into the room to watch and listen..and they all started dancing to it!! It is this song (this is the earliest iteration of it..it sounds much better now) https://soundcloud.com/aaronfowler-1/vagingo2
    We kept that group rocking and rolling for the rest of the night. The manager came up to us while we were packing up and said that he was really happy with us and wanted us to come back!

7. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

DT and I actually have very similar bands. But they have a better bass player. ;)

8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

:eyebrow: You're no slouch!!