1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Great kit for threaded neck bolt inserts!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 7, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I bought a few of these kits on Ebay and they worked great! Very easy to install. I don't know how much difference they made in tone because I finished up after my kid went to bed but I feel better knowing that my neck isn't attached to the body using screws into wood anymore.

[​IMG]

I've purchased some other items from this seller as well - all great stuff.

It's not me, by the way... :D
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Thanks for posting. I'm subbing to this thread so I can find that link again. I'll be doing this to all of my basses very soon.
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84

So, instead of screwing a screw through the plate & body into the neck, you're screwing an insert into the neck and then using bolts through the plate & body into the inserts in the neck.

I see no benefit to this...
  4. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Actually there is a benefit to those who remove their bass necks frequently. Without the machined inserts, the threads in the neck quickly wear out and start stripping.

Edit: Also, this a perfect "fix" for stripped threads due to excessive removal/installation of the neck.
  5. fourstringbliss

Apparently it also makes for a stronger neck joint. Many folks who have done this mod also report more sustain and clearer tone. I'll have to give my impressions when I get a chance to play my bass.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Great thread looks like a really nice and easy kit. I would agree on the stronger neck joint but clearer tone I'm somewhat doubtful but open minded.
  7. fourstringbliss

More sustain and clearer tone it is! I just fully tightened things down and plugged in - sounds great! More sustain for sure - the notes just ring! Tone does seem to be clearer than before but maybe just a little. Definitely worth the $5ish I spent on this kit. I'll be doing this with every bass I own.
  8. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

I've done this mod on 3 of my basses and it really does add more sustain and note clarity (to my ears anyway). Someone posted awhile ago, wave form patterns showing the difference before and after installing inserts. If you have a steady hand it's not that difficult to do.
  9. fourstringbliss

A steady hand would be good 'cause you have to drill your holes wider. I own drill bits with hex shaft so I attached them to my ratcheting screwdriver and drilled them wider that way. I'm going to search for that thread showing the wave form patterns. The sound is definitely clearer (also, to my ears).
  10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

That's a much better price than most of the kits you find on ebay. I'd still rather see them use stainless inserts instead of softer brass or zinc.

Inserts let you put a lot more torque on the screws than just screws into wood. They shouldn't strip out with numerous removals. They're really great if you've got a heel-adjust truss rod without an access route.
  11. richntiff

richntiff

From an engineering standpoint (sorry, I'm an engineer...) the threaded insert/machine bolt is a solid WIN. MUCH stronger joint than a wood screw. The increased sustain that I have no doubt is there is from the ability to exert more pressure on the threaded inserts than a simple wood screw can bring to bear -this in turn solidifies the wood/wood 'joint' between the neck and body - hence, more sustain and clarity. FSB - I just bought some 10-24 threaded inserts and machine bolts at my local HW store today - what size inserts/bolts came in the kits you got? My inserts look just like that - can't wait for my neck to get here!
  12. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

One of our own... a TBer sells kits with steel inserts instead of the brass.
  13. fourstringbliss

Who? I didn't know that or I would have bought them from them.
  14. fourstringbliss

Included in the kit are:

· 4 self-tapping BRASS inserts, internally threaded to accept the neck screws

· 4 Phillips oval head 18-8 stainless machine screws, #8-32 thread, 1 3/4" long

· 4 finishing washers should you have "oversized" neck plate holes (import guitars)

· 1 allen wrench and 1 small socket head cap screw (for installation only - only one each supplied regardless of number of insert sets ordered)
  15. megafiddle

megafiddle

I can tell you for a fact that wood screws in undamaged neck screw holes are capable
    of bending the neck plate. They are more than strong enough with a good quality maple
    neck in good condition.

For stripped hole repair, inserts are an option.
  16. fourstringbliss

I'm sure this is true but these inserts have improved the tone of this bass. It's also an SX bass and I don't know about the integrity of the screws or the holes.
  17. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto

Define "quickly". Thirty years with umpteen neck removals and no stripping yet.
  18. CnB77

CnB77

It'll have to be on a bass to bass basis (heh)
    Some will surely strip faster than others. Depends on the wood and how carefully the neck is removed and installed each time
  19. fourstringbliss

For me it's more about peace of mind. I'm now not worried at all about really tightening these bolts whereas I was always a little worried that I was going to tighten the wood screws too much. I probably didn't have much to worry about but that's okay.
  20. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Well actually when you use inserts you are just putting a bolt through a hollow woodscrew. Not really any stronger.