1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Great sounding jazz bass in this clip from '78

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PJ Muzikmansky, Jan 4, 2013.

1. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Gentlemen. I submit for your consideration, a clip from a 1978episode of the 'Two Ronnies'. I first saw this as a teenager and only recently rediscovered it (thanks youtube!) It features the great British singer, Barbara Dickson, backed up by a very tight band with a great bass player. Doesn't the jazz bass sound good ? An excellent studio sound overall

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...is this live? The vocals...maybe, the others look like they are playing to a track.
    (Convincingly, too, 'cause the bassist/guitarist/drummer hands "look correct" vs. the audio. Sometimes, the giveaway is a drummer that looks like he's beating on eggshells &/or a cymbal crash that's missed...not really the case here although he looks like he's playing with a light touch).

If this is their live sound...kudos, very clean.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm convinced it is JimK...although I've been in a situation myself where I've 'played' live to a pre-recorded bass part !

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Seems live to me. All fills right on the money, all notes match up, all vocal articulations match the mouth movements. Never seen a performance to track match up this closely.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sometimes the vocals are live (e.g. The Doors "Touch Me" from The Smothers Brothers Show...just read about it over the holidaze Morrison's live vocals over a pre-recorded instrumental bed. Morrison's misses some words/his cue at about 1:09).

Yes...it is very good...and well-played, mixed, volumes, etc. Great job!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, that's a bad jam....and sounds live, too!

Just checked the credits-
    No elec bass on the recording?

8. Love those yellow trousers!!!

9. spacebassed

spacebassed

Jan 31, 2009
    WOW! Who knew that Justin Meldal-Johnsen had a time machine?!?