1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Great sounding jazz bass in this clip from '78

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PJ Muzikmansky, Jan 4, 2013.

1. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Gentlemen. I submit for your consideration, a clip from a 1978episode of the 'Two Ronnies'. I first saw this as a teenager and only recently rediscovered it (thanks youtube!) It features the great British singer, Barbara Dickson, backed up by a very tight band with a great bass player. Doesn't the jazz bass sound good ? An excellent studio sound overall

2. JimK

JimK

...is this live? The vocals...maybe, the others look like they are playing to a track.
    (Convincingly, too, 'cause the bassist/guitarist/drummer hands "look correct" vs. the audio. Sometimes, the giveaway is a drummer that looks like he's beating on eggshells &/or a cymbal crash that's missed...not really the case here although he looks like he's playing with a light touch).

If this is their live sound...kudos, very clean.
  3. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

I'm convinced it is JimK...although I've been in a situation myself where I've 'played' live to a pre-recorded bass part !

4. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Seems live to me. All fills right on the money, all notes match up, all vocal articulations match the mouth movements. Never seen a performance to track match up this closely.
  5. JimK

JimK

Sometimes the vocals are live (e.g. The Doors "Touch Me" from The Smothers Brothers Show...just read about it over the holidaze Morrison's live vocals over a pre-recorded instrumental bed. Morrison's misses some words/his cue at about 1:09).

Yes...it is very good...and well-played, mixed, volumes, etc. Great job!
  6. JimK

JimK

Man, that's a bad jam....and sounds live, too!

Just checked the credits-
    No elec bass on the recording?
  7. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Love those yellow trousers!!!
  8. spacebassed

spacebassed

WOW! Who knew that Justin Meldal-Johnsen had a time machine?!?