1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Green is the best finish ever

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the explode man, Aug 23, 2013.

1. the explode man

the explode man

Strangely enough, it seems this is a rare colour for bass finishes. However, I strongly feel it is the best looking. I remember reading at one point that they did some science on it that also confirmed it was the greatest.

I have a Sterling DD2, and the thing is just gorgeous. I played a lot of Sterlings before making the purchase as I was getting it from an online dealer. When it came in, I was blown away not only by how great it looked in person, but how much better it sounded in general than the other Sterlings I had played.

Does anyone else share the same sentiment?

(I'm not going to say anything about Sunburst finishes. Not one word. :bag:)

Attached Files:

2. Nobody

Nobody

I like enchiladas.

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Showed up for the basses, stayed for the enchiladas.

4. k-Plunk

k-Plunk

My dream bass is a Guild Starfire II in Transparent Green

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

They say green is bad luck on motorcycles. All mine have been painted green. I'm still living, and it's just an awesome color.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
  8. deathsdj

deathsdj

I love green. Everything is better green.

Unfortunately I have never found a green Ibanez Destroyer.

I got a red one and just scored a used 84' DT650 that is black with cream binding. The black one is going to Pat Wilkins for paint in a while but I'm going back black & cream.

Eventually I will score another destroyer and that one will be sent to Pat to be a beautifu green. I might even have some special trim and logos made for it. It's all just a dream right now. I kind of want to customize a destroyer to look like my first car, a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner. I'm a little Kookie...

So, do I get an enchilada? Green chili please!

Cheers!

MJW

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Seafoam green and surf green are two of my favorite colors for basses. I also like darker greens.

10. nurnay

nurnay

Those Dargies sure are sweet. And the new sparkle green run EBMM is coming out with looks killer.

11. Nobody

Nobody

MMMmmmm verde!

12. stingray96191

stingray96191

Disclosures:
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Green is pretty cool. In some strange circle of events I own more green basses than any other.

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

14. donn

donn

Feast your eyes: green sunburst!

A '70s Greco viola bass on craigslist a ways back. (Seller's picture is dark and poorly corrected for lighting color.) I was sorely tempted, but there were some minor fixer-upper issues - the nut was higher than the zero fret, for one thing - and she wasn't exactly giving it away. Good looks aren't as simple as name your favorite color, sunburst or not, etc., and this is a good illustration - starting with "green sunburst", you could make up a broad range of color schemes, most of them not so good.

Attached Files:

15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They say geniuses pick green.

16. jlepre

jlepre

Now THIS is GREEEEEEN
    [​IMG]

17. IPA

IPA

There should be more green basses that aren't surf or seafoam.

I love a nice bottle green.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Yeah man, some how that happened to me as well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Color is about sales and presentation.

According to FMIC, sunburst accounts for ~50% of sales, given the option. Natural (including blondes), white and black account for most of what's left. With very few exceptions, it's hard to move most other colors unless it's forced or extremely discounted. Whatever people say (and people here always go on about, "why don't they make [X] in more colors?"), when it comes to actually parting with money -- and what else matters? -- they choke on those "other colors." In this stuff, ignore what people say; watch what they buy.

So, if you produce other colors, you're usually going to take a bad hit on them. My old half-facetious "Law of Blue Guitars," which posits that you can afford your dream guitar if you can wait and stand it in blue when it finally gets dumped at long, long discount, is still pretty reliable. Green, being a scarier sales proposition even than blue, is rarely produced, but also gets dumped at incredible discounts (I've seen brand new MM Bongos in green dumped for ~80% off just to be rid of them).

Most people won't buy weird colors because they don't want to look at them, even when they thought they liked them at first.

They also don't want to look at you playing them, even if they don't quite know what it is that's turning them off [this sort of determination is at the core of commercial design].

If green or purple or whatever moved 50% of the new units, then it would be the right color. When it can't sell 2% it's obviously the wrong color and to be avoided in terms of not only presentation but resale (unless you're getting a huge discount on the front end and can take the hit when you sell).

If you're wired differently than the rest of the market and actually like weird colored instruments, enjoy the great discounts on them that will pop up from time to time -- but have some in more conventional colors for playing out. ;)

20. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Glad you're all into green basses....

Leaves more of the sunbursts for me.

21. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ