Greenboy cab for home stereo speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Myth_103, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103

I'm looking to get some great home stereo speakers for clear recorded music. Would any of these designs be good for that? I imagine they'd be a little bass heavy. Also, maybe I could use it as a bass cab, too. Just an idea.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There is a scale issue here.
    Pristine hifi stereo can be obtained with 2x30w into a pair of 15" high light and fashionable cabs that look good in the living room.
    For a bass you'd want at least 400w mono into rugged, heavy duty, easily movable cabs.
    I can't think of a valid reason to combine the 2.
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I think that Greenboy was trying very hard to make a loudspeaker that had similar performance to an early passive westlake studio monitor design.
    If you have the crossover correctly padded for a flat frequency response and better time align the mid unit by using the optional JBLish plastic mid range horn, to move the mid driver back in the cabinet to align the voice coils better. then a "fifteen six one" might sound quite like one of these old Westlake bad boys.:bassist:
    [​IMG]
  4. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I have a pair of Bose 901's, with two Peavey 18" W horns, pushed by a Kenwood reciever. It puts out 125 watts per channel @ 4ohms, and it's still not enough when I'm really rockin'.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not the stereo buff I was years ago and my requirements have lessened. That said, I believe a pair of Crazy8 or Crazy88 cabs would be very nice (disclaimer: I own both but haven't tried them as home stereo speakers). I believe Duke's Thunderchild cabs have been used as home stereo speakers and studio monitors.
  7. majortoby

majortoby

Based on what I know about them, I'd say a pair of 12/6/1's would make some excellent home stereo speakers. I'd go a step further and use a nice pa amp with good dsp. That should make a rockin home stereo setup with plenty of ability to be dialed in as needed. But I've tin ears. :p
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Greenboy cabs sound like good PA speakers, which typically do not sound particular good as 'stereo' speakers. They are also not very close to flat, with some pretty big peaks in the upper midrange, which work fine for bass, but sound pretty awful as stereo speakers (IMO and IME). However, if you like the very 'goosed' tone of programmed music played through a big front of house system, they would work fine.

The two bass cabs that seem to be the closest to 'studio monitor' voicing to me are the Thunderchild TC112 (made by high end stereo speaker designer Duke LeJeune) and possibly the Acme B110's, which are more extended in the low end than most stereo speakers, but are pretty even through the upper treble.

So, the TC112 would IMO be the best option, and I found them (powered by a reasonably flat ss amp) to sound the closest to my BeyerDynamic high end phones than any other bass cab I've ever played.

Duke even provides RCA jacks on his TC112's by request.
  9. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Gosh, there's a whole world of boutique home stereo equipment out there that would bring much better results than this. Just make sure you have a big checkbook.
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 in that I was responding to the request of 'which bass speakers would make decent PA speakers'. The question of why you would want to do that is a whole different thing:p

That being said, the TC112's are, for all practical purposes, hi end stereo speakers that happen to have components that make them able to handle the massive volumes and transient peaks for live bass guitar amplification.
  11. rms2

rms2 Supporting Member

I remember reading somewhere in the Crazy88 thread about a TB'er who is using the 88's as his home stereo monitors with great results. He made little wall mount shelfs for them. He then pulls them down and takes them to his gig and if I remember correctly said he has used them for bass and even for PA on gigs. I'll try to search for that thread later when I have time.
  12. mystic38

mystic38

There are many DIY audio kits for homes stereo... a bass cab is really not a good starting point.
  13. majortoby

majortoby

I guess I was dead wrong lol
  14. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

+1 to Ken's comments. I have a pair of TC112s with the stereo post connections and they are most definitely studio monitor quality to my ears.

I already have the TC112s, and I have the room to use them for my stereo system, so why not - they sound great!

(And they're the best bass cabs I've ever heard for my sound).

Bob

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Which Kenwood receiver? Look at the specs- it's probably not doing what the advertising says it will.
  16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Like you, I have no personal experience with the fEARless line of greenboy cabs.
    But from what I've heard and read from builders and users, the newer designs do not have the the upper mid peaks of the earlier fEARful designs. This is due to mid driver selection and crossover design.

(The 12/6 designs with Eminence mid drivers also do not have the peaks you dislike.)
  17. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Blah blah blah blah blah...

If you are looking for a DIY route that would cover both home audio and bass, then yes I would look into the fEARful designs. There may be set ups that are more preferred for bass, or for home audio, but there are few DIY options that may cover both in a decent fashion.

I say go for it.
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 They might be an option for the OP. However, for this application, the Audiokinesis TC112 is kind of a no brainer. Duke actually configures and sells these as stereo speakers. Rare for a hi end stereo speaker designer to design a bass cab, and the crossover (massively complicated 5 pound crossover that has a LOT of circuitry to flatten, smooth and 'make musical' the top end response coming out of that big horn) really makes these cabs sound like a studio monitor (i.e., relatively accurate, not too big down low, and beautifully musical up top).

I again found the TC112 to be the cab that sounds closest to my hi end phones with programmed music. And, since Duke will configure the cab with RCA inputs (or whatever those standard stereo speaker things are), it is a bit of a no brainer for the OP's request.

For lower volume applications, I would think the Greenboy Crazy 8's might also be decent. Many stereo speakers seem to use a small woofer with high crossed over standard tweeter with good results.
  19. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Not arguing the merits of the TC112. You have experience with them; I don't.
    And I believe Duke was designing home stereo speaker systems long before he entered the electric bass market. That should definitely give his designs an edge.
  20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 For this unusual usage from the OP, it really is, far and away, the best solution.

Of course, I'd buy the stereo speakers that I liked, and the bass cab that I liked, and be happy. But if, for some reason, a user wants one cab to do both, that would be the one by a pretty large margin.
  21. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

If I was gonna DIY some home stereo speakers, I'd be looking at Bill Fitzmaurice designs.