1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

greenboy's non-fEARful cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by truebenjaman, Mar 28, 2012.

1. truebenjaman

truebenjaman

I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread to post questions, answers and pics about the cabs greenboy drew that aren't fEARfuls.

These cabs are only availiable through his network of authorized dealers, while fEARfuls are a DIY design first and foremost. As of now I know of the

Crazy8:
    [​IMG]
    (built by Barry Audio Designs)

Crazy88:
    [​IMG]
    (built by Mike Arnopol)

Bassic (115):
    [​IMG]
    (built by Barry Audio Designs)

Dually (215):
    [​IMG]
    (haven't found a pic "in the flesh")

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Personally, cant wait to try a crazy88 for myself...should be building our first dually very soon :)

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

i heard the Crazy88 was not optimized for electric bass!

¿Sí o No?

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Mike uses them for electric, if memory serves

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

Mike Arnopol, the co-creator of the 8 and 88 uses them now for BG.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Read about Mike's cab here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/arnopol-8-cabinet-winner-848274/

I've been using the Crazy8 for several weeks. It's a terrific cab, especially for acoustic bass. I've also got it sounding fantastic with my Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass, but the cab requires EQ. I use an Empress ParaEQ to dial in the sound. Lovely sounding cab, and can get quite loud.

8. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The Crazy 8 sounds great for bass guitar. I use either 0ne for a medium volume gig and an 88 and an 8 for a loud gig. They are stackable and it's nice beause you get floor coupling and have a speaker 30" off the ground. The dispersion on the 8 is so good that you can hear yourself really well. It's nice to not have to decide between on the floor or on a chair. Also, on the Crazy 88 we have moved to a single 4" Precision port on the back. This gives about 3 db more low end than the corner ports and little or no port turbulence. A big improvement.

9. barryaudio

barryaudio

Disclosures:
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    I've used the Crazy8 for bass guitar. It sounds great but in practical use, probably not loud enough for more than coffee house and small gigs. FWIW, I think every cab needs EQ. I have the tweeter on a fixed lpad to take away some of the guesswork involved in the variable lpad.

10. truebenjaman

truebenjaman

An Mike Arnopol Bassic (22lbs!)
    [​IMG]

and a Crazy 8:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

The latest version of Mike's crazy88:

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

13. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Even though I've built 10 or so cabs, my day gig at 50 + 12 per week driving, doesn't allow me much time to do anything but wait for Leland to start selling Dually flatpacks. I've subjected my 3015 loaded TL606's at an outdoor gig, (without FOH), and they sucked. I'm on board for the same outdoor gig 30June, and I'm already getting nervous.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Don't think you will see a flatpack any time soon. Plans are only available to authorized builders.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike at Dan Lakin's GTG a couple weeks ago. The fEARful isn't quite my bag, but his descriptions of the Dually and Bassic sure are tickling my old-school tastes. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to go up to his place and try one out one of these days.:)

16. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    What weights are you getting with a wood Bassic? 30#? With the composite builds I feel that I have to stick with the round grill build. (even if some think they're ugly) They keep the weight down and it's the only way that I can get corners on---maybe it's just me but I want corners all around. Maybe overbuilding and too paranoid. I'm trying to see if I can find some more interesting and less spartan looking round grills than the ones I use. The ones that Duke and I both use are the heavy duty ones. There are some that look cooler with round holes but they're too light. By the way, 2 88's sound killin' with electric. 20# in either hand---a doable schlep and loud. I'll have a Dually done next week.

17. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Join the fEARFUL forum, go to page 4 of the Dually thread. You'll find what I refer to there.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

A 15/6 or 1212/66 are available in flatpacks and will likely have you very satisfied.

19. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Already own two 3015's.

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Just for the record, I like an old school tone as well, and I can easily get there with my fEARful 15/6...... I just cut about 6db of 800hz and I am there with my tone pot on my Jazz rolled off.

These cabs are chameleons!

[​IMG]

21. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I've been a member. Read through that thread, I saw where the flatpacks were mentioned, but didn't see confirmation that they would be released.