Greeting from Toddington, Bedfordshire

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Ritchbee, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Ritchbee

Ritchbee

Hi everyone,

Right at the age of 53 I have decided to do something useful my life and learn to play the bass guitar a daunting prospect or not.....:bassist:

I've always enjoyed a heavy bass rifts listening and following such bands as...

The Stranglers - JJ
    Big Country - Tony Butler
    New Model Army - Stuart Morrow

Any advice welcome of the type/make of bass etc I should purchase without breaking the bank.

Thanks
    Brian

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

First thing you are not too old, however, you will have to carve out an hour practice time each day. I leave the when to you. The kids do seem to pick it up quicker, but, they have the time to practice all day as food and shelter just happen for them.

IMO there is little need to spend a lot of money on gear, I've never been a gear head, until you start gigging in public. So one of the starter kits for $200 to $300 will do anything you ask of it right now. If this thing sticks then spend the money. First improvement - the amp.

If you can take someone that plays the bass with you when you pick out your instrument, do so. And yes I do recommend you purchase your first bass from a local Mom and Pop store. Why? Free advice is just a phone call away. So it costs you 10% more. At the price we are talking about, worth the personal care.

Couple of months of instructions at $75 to $100 per month will be money well spent. If that is not in the cards, Bass Guitar for Dummies is a good starter book. Google Scott Devine and Ed Friedland. They both have a way with words and put that to good use in writing instruction books and videos. Any time spent with Scott or Ed will be time well spent.

Patterns and the major scale box seemed to help me the most when I started. Dummies will have all that. For example: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/bass-guitar-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Good luck, and welcome to the bottom end.

3. thomcat79

thomcat79

Hi ritchbee

welcome to the forum , some great advice from MalcolmAmos.
    Really couldnt have said it better :)

goodluck , enjoy the forum :p

4. Ritchbee

Ritchbee

Thanks for all the advice Malcolm,

I've seen some good reviews about dummies.

Looking forward to the challenge no going back!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ritchbee

Ritchbee

Thanks tomcat79

I will!

7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie :)