1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Greg Rzab (with John Mayall's band) - Outstanding !

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by timber22, Feb 12, 2010.

1. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I saw Greg Rzab live last night with John Mayall's band. I know he's been around and played with a lot of great bands (Buddy Guy, Govt Mule, etc) but it was the first time I had the opportunity to see him live. Absolutely amazing, playing everything from slow blues, to upbeat rock to a smokin' solo in "Room To Move". Just an outstanding bass player.
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

wow congrats to Greg!! He's a great hard working bassist. I'm always glad to hear the new gigs that he gets from time to time. I've seen him countless amount of times with Buddy Guy, saw him with Chris Robinson and Black Crowes... Heard about his try out for the Stones. That cat is a true working player.

...wonder if he still has one of Jaco's basses.
  3. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I'm not positive, but I believe he was playing a 5-string MTD last night.
  4. Dabluzeguy

Dabluzeguy

Disclosures:
    Partner, Rice Custom Guitars
  5. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

I was first aware of Greg from his work with Buddy Guy and was lucky enough to catch him when he filled the bass chair for the Black Crowes on their tour with Jimmy Page. I was just getting in to playing the blues when I heard him with Buddy and I "borrowed" a lot from what he played for my repertoire!
  6. Dabluzeguy

Dabluzeguy

Disclosures:
    It was fun to just hang around the house with Greg and his son the other day, tweaking the new bass and visiting. He's a genuine person and great player. Really an all around pro.

If you get the chance, go see him play. ;)
  7. Dabluzeguy

Dabluzeguy

Disclosures:
    Well, the band is touring the Netherlands now.. Wish I was over there to see them play. :(
  8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Funny you mention the tough touring schedule. When Mayall first announced he was breaking up the Bluesbreakers a coupla years ago, my first thought was, he getting older, slow down and not work so much, etc. Then in the interview he goes on to say there were other people he wanted to play with and other things he wanted to do musically. Road dog indeed.

Kinda of like Dylan and his never ending tour. It's what they do and what they want to do, and it's not just about the money.
  9. Dabluzeguy

Dabluzeguy

Disclosures:
  10. Slabobian Mesh

Slabobian Mesh

As good as Greg Rzab is on the bass, you should check out his brother Gary Rzab, who is a great drummer in his own right. I have the honor of playing with Gary in a jazz fusion band called Birds of Flame.
    Welcome to the Birds of Flame site
  11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

I saw Greg last night w/John Mayall.

What a monster!

:bassist::bassist::bassist:
  12. portpc

portpc

saw GR w/Mayall at the Boulton Therater on Long Island about a year ago..

Really impressed with his dynamics & chops.
    Just a phenomonal player!
  13. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

fwiw, he was using an ESP p/j into a GK RB series head into two Ampeg 4x10s. Killer tone!
  14. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    At one point he owned one of Jaco's two most notorius basses, a fretted Jazz that was the companion to The Bass of Doom. A great player!
  15. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Ron, was that the J-bass with the fretted P-neck that Jaco used in the "Modern Electric Bass" video? Just curious...
  16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I think it was the fretted bass on the back of Invitation.
  17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks! :cool:
  18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I'm glad to see a thread about Greg Rzab, he's aces in my book.

My buddy John (Gecko5 on TB) and I were at a get-together organized by Dan Lakin early last year at the old Lakland factory, repping the Lakland Owners Group with a small table and some swag. Greg walks up and introduces himself to us, we have a good conversation for a few minutes, then he says he'd love to be on the next LOG CD we put together. (We'd put out one disc already with various LOG members contributing tracks.)

After he left, we talked about what a cool guy he was, but in no way did we expect a player with his resume who'd never met us before that day would actually record a track for us. But he did follow through! It's a jazz tune--not my preferred genre, but his track is really great.

We met him again at the Lakland GTG last October, and he got up on stage and played a few songs with the band up there. Killer player, great guy.