Gremlin basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ARA punk, Sep 3, 2002.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

I found a gremlin bass at a pawn shop near my house. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. The guy wants 75 bucks for it. I was thinking about using this bass for alternate tunings, to save time during gigs. Just as a cheap second bass. Would 75 bucks be a total shaft.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

I think that I paid $70 for the one I bought my daughter. I guess it's worth that much. It seems to stay in tune, and it works for her for now. So I guess $75 is good if it's in good shape.

3. Gallient Knight

Gallient Knight

for an extra 40 bucks you could get a new SX.

If I remember right Gremlins are plywood bodies.

Not sure on that though

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's only plywood. I'd go for the Essex also. It would be worth the extra $.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sonorous

Sonorous

I have a Gremlin, I found it in my attic.

Its all beat up, missing some tuning keys (still has pegs though), and the electronics only work 20% of the time. I don't know how old it is.

However, on the rare occasion that it is working... it is a monster. I love the sound I get from it.

7. mriev

mriev

I just bought one at a pawn shop for $75. It has a nice action and seems to stay in tune pretty well. The strings on it have obviously been on it a while, but it still sounds pretty good. It has a 30" scale like my Squier Bronco, but the "P" type pickups give it a fatter, warmer sound. I bought it because I wanted another short scale bass to modify, but I think this bass will sound good with just a new set of strings and a bit of adjustment. I was very pleasantly suprised by this thing!

8. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

I say buy it. You can get an SX any day of the week. How often do you see a Gremlin bass?

9. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Especially with a name like Gremlin!? :eek:

10. mriev

mriev

After playing around with it a bit more, I found that the pickups are not humbucking, and they're rather noisy. I ordered a set of Dimarzio DP127's at a bit more than I paid for the bass, but since it plays good, I think it'll be worth it. I've got a good set of 500K pots that I'm going to inastall, and I'll probably completely rewire the bass with sheilded cable. It'll be interesting to see what it sounds like with the new pups and new strings.

11. mriev

mriev

I installed the Dimarzio DP127 Split P's and a set of D'Addario EXL220S strings on the Gremlin, and the thing came alive! Lots of punch and lovely low-end growl, and turning the tone control back gives a nice fat bluesy sound. It's also great for slap and pop style with the tone wide open. I find myself using the Gremlin much more than either of my other basses. I think it's a real bargain, even with the extra 80 bucks I spent on the Split P. If you happen to run across one, give it a try, you might just want to take it home.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Gremlin basses are made in Great Britain and they're a bit unusual here in the US, although you do run into them. The one I owned was a 30" scale copy of a Precision bass. It had a good sound, the neck was nice, and in all respects it was a very competent short-scale bass that was pleasant to play. I sold it to a gent in Australia who enjoys it. I sold it because I accumulated some other short scale basses that I used more often.

I also agree - the name is cool and it's a bass you don't see every day. The Gremlins are WELL worth $75 IMO.

Since it's a short scale, if you use it for alternate tunings it should probably be for tuning the strings up, not down.

13. digger71

digger71

I also have a Gremlin bass that was just GIVEN to me several years back.I have since then turned it into a project bass that I was working on for awhile, bit then lost interest... until now! Just today after work I took it in to my local luthier to put in some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, new pots, and some work on a few frets that were coming loose. I have a Badass bridge on it and some Ping tuning knobs and sounded great with the old original pickups... so really looking forward to what this axe is going to sound like when i get it back from my luthier in a few weeks! Totally stoked!:bassist:

14. Deechord

Deechord

My sister had a Gremlin....back in the day.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

15. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Wow, ’02 to ’04 to ’08 to today in twelve posts.

:)

16. savadas

savadas

My husband got me a sweet little Gremlin and an Orange amp. I'm looking forward to starting my lessons and playing this sweet little bass. Pawn shop purchase, great deal. I like that it's a bass not normally found here in the US. Makes it feel a little more special.

Attached Files:

GKon likes this.
  17. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

:thumbsup:
    Welcome to TB and the wonderful world of the low end! Cool rig and hubby you've got there...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  18. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

Media:
    Jeeze... 12 year old thread!