1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Jr. Jet II with TV Jones Thunder'Trons

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ih8law, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

This sale was forced on me by my wife, who will not relent in her accusations that I have too many basses. This bass was something of a labor of love, as I have put a lot of time and resources into upgrading and modding. It was also a lot of fun to do those mods, and will be missed.

Here's what we've got. It is a Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet II G2220. The following mods were done:

- Stock pickups replaced with TV Jones Thunder'Trons (these run about $130 each)

- Stock bridge replaced with a Babicz full contact/high mass bridge

- Stock tuners replaced with Grovers

- Gretsch style strap locks were added

- Currently strung with D'Addario tape wound flats

- Entirely new wiring scheme. My goal was to have the controls on this match those of a Gretsch Thunder Jet. I routed out small cavities for the controls on the upper bouts and added all new quality pots and switches. All of my mods were chronicled in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/gretsch-g2220-bass-818089/

Terms of sale: For now I want to sell this locally in the Houston, Texas area. So, no shipping. Cash only. No trades. I am asking $400.

Here is a video so you can hear and see a sample: http://youtu.be/9boHZpSF5HQ

Some pictures:

[​IMG]
    (Strap not included)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post more pics on request. Thanks for looking.
  2. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

3. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

New pictures bump.

I received a PM asking about whether any screw holes were visible after replacing the tuners. Here, the replacement tuners were almost identical in size to the stock ones, and I was able to reuse the same holes (so no holes are visible):

[​IMG]

Also, just so there is full disclosure, the routing for the rear cavities was not machine-perfect. The shallow shelf that I routed for the two round cavity covers to screw into is a little larger than the diameter of the cover (see pics below). I painted the exposed wood black so you can't tell from any meaningful distance.

Also, I installed in interesting looking neck plate cover. If it rings your bell, buy-it-now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

That is a fine instrument with some excellent mods - I just looked up your YouTube demo and anyone interested in a versatile shortscale with some ridiculous character shouldn't waste a second more considering it - I've committed myself to one of St Blues' 4-string cigar box guitars so that's all I get to dump cash on for a while, so good luck with the sale! (And seriously fine work!)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbossolo

jbossolo

Very cool little ax! If I didn't have about ten too many, I'd be giving you a call!
  7. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Sold! Thanks, guys!