Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Jr. Jet II with TV Jones Thunder'Trons

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ih8law, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

This sale was forced on me by my wife, who will not relent in her accusations that I have too many basses. This bass was something of a labor of love, as I have put a lot of time and resources into upgrading and modding. It was also a lot of fun to do those mods, and will be missed.

Here's what we've got. It is a Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet II G2220. The following mods were done:

- Stock pickups replaced with TV Jones Thunder'Trons (these run about $130 each)

- Stock bridge replaced with a Babicz full contact/high mass bridge

- Stock tuners replaced with Grovers

- Gretsch style strap locks were added

- Currently strung with D'Addario tape wound flats

- Entirely new wiring scheme. My goal was to have the controls on this match those of a Gretsch Thunder Jet. I routed out small cavities for the controls on the upper bouts and added all new quality pots and switches. All of my mods were chronicled in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/gretsch-g2220-bass-818089/

Terms of sale: For now I want to sell this locally in the Houston, Texas area. So, no shipping. Cash only. No trades. I am asking $400.

Here is a video so you can hear and see a sample: http://youtu.be/9boHZpSF5HQ

Some pictures:

[​IMG]
    (Strap not included)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post more pics on request. Thanks for looking.
  2. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

3. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

New pictures bump.

I received a PM asking about whether any screw holes were visible after replacing the tuners. Here, the replacement tuners were almost identical in size to the stock ones, and I was able to reuse the same holes (so no holes are visible):

[​IMG]

Also, just so there is full disclosure, the routing for the rear cavities was not machine-perfect. The shallow shelf that I routed for the two round cavity covers to screw into is a little larger than the diameter of the cover (see pics below). I painted the exposed wood black so you can't tell from any meaningful distance.

Also, I installed in interesting looking neck plate cover. If it rings your bell, buy-it-now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

That is a fine instrument with some excellent mods - I just looked up your YouTube demo and anyone interested in a versatile shortscale with some ridiculous character shouldn't waste a second more considering it - I've committed myself to one of St Blues' 4-string cigar box guitars so that's all I get to dump cash on for a while, so good luck with the sale! (And seriously fine work!)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbossolo

jbossolo

Very cool little ax! If I didn't have about ten too many, I'd be giving you a call!
  7. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Sold! Thanks, guys!