Gretsch G5123B - feedback issue solved for me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Jan 20, 2014.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Yesterday I brought my "vanity bass" Gretsch G5123B to band practice. I have done it once before with no luck, due to howling feedback. This time I had patched in a 31 band EQ to sort that problem.
    Cutting about 6dB at 100 and 125 Hz and a bit more at 200 and 250 Hz worked great. Now I could easily play at our usual loudness - not metal loud but we DO play rock... I run flat-ish through a channel strip, QSC amp and SVT-410HLF. Big, thuddy tone with limited sustain but rich low mids. Did not sit that well in the mix for the intended songs, unfortunately.
    However, it is definitely gig-able with the right eq, also for rock.

2. vin*tone

vin*tone

Semi parametric EQs are awesome for this type of thing. Create a notch and sweep around that area til you nail the exact frequency. I'd also consider taming the lows through that HLF. I believe the Gretsch is similar to my Duesenberg in it's biiig low end (...but the Doozy has a solid tone block for feedback).

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Well, the lows are ok, even at higher SPL. The bass has quite a bit of upright thump to it, and it still has the rounds it came with. My only gripe now is the "dead spot" / weak open E + the F and F#. Tried pushing the headstock to the wall and "boom", those notes came alive, too. Next to come is a fatfinger. Worked well on my Squier CV Jazz.