1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gretsch G5123B - feedback issue solved for me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Jan 20, 2014.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Yesterday I brought my "vanity bass" Gretsch G5123B to band practice. I have done it once before with no luck, due to howling feedback. This time I had patched in a 31 band EQ to sort that problem.
    Cutting about 6dB at 100 and 125 Hz and a bit more at 200 and 250 Hz worked great. Now I could easily play at our usual loudness - not metal loud but we DO play rock... I run flat-ish through a channel strip, QSC amp and SVT-410HLF. Big, thuddy tone with limited sustain but rich low mids. Did not sit that well in the mix for the intended songs, unfortunately.
    However, it is definitely gig-able with the right eq, also for rock.
  2. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Semi parametric EQs are awesome for this type of thing. Create a notch and sweep around that area til you nail the exact frequency. I'd also consider taming the lows through that HLF. I believe the Gretsch is similar to my Duesenberg in it's biiig low end (...but the Doozy has a solid tone block for feedback).
  3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Well, the lows are ok, even at higher SPL. The bass has quite a bit of upright thump to it, and it still has the rounds it came with. My only gripe now is the "dead spot" / weak open E + the F and F#. Tried pushing the headstock to the wall and "boom", those notes came alive, too. Next to come is a fatfinger. Worked well on my Squier CV Jazz.