GRETSCH G5442BDC - Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanHutchison9, Mar 25, 2014.

1. RyanHutchison9

RyanHutchison9

First of all I would like to introduce myself to the community... I've been playing bass for around 4 years and now that I'm making some money and starting a serious project I'm looking at doing a serious upgrade to my current rig.

I've been looking at the G5442BDC and really love the tone it produces, it's a short scale semi acoustic which will be a new area for me to explore and I'm excited... the only issue I have is the type of music I'm wanting to play. The main influences for the project are QOTSA/RATM/Incubus and Foo Fighters. Do you think I could pull it off with this bass? Taking into account that a pick would be used from time to time. I'm also looking at the GK 1001RBII as a future purchase.

Here is a video of the bass in action, a preemptive thank you to anyone who can assist. :smug:
  2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Welcome here!
  3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have the sibling G5123B, and while these Electromatics come in three versions, 30, 32 and 34" scale (with other differences too) they share the basic design.

In our band we play blues/rock (SRV, Hendrix, Scofield, Ray Charles etc.) and even in this older style of music, I still find the Gretsch not to add any real value over my Precision to the sound of the band.
    Run it clean or gritty, no difference. A bit too wooly and thuddy, IMO.
    You really need a good parametric or 15/31 band eq to fight feedback, IME.

"Pull off", yes, but I think a less "hollow" model would work better. Lakland, Epiphone?

YMMV!
  4. RyanHutchison9

RyanHutchison9

Thanks for the help Alex!
  5. Register to disable this ad