Gretsch Junior Jet Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Anyone have any opinions on these little things...? Are they decently stable etc? Difference between single vs double pickup models?

I think that the sunburst model has a really kickass look, and it looks like a decent bass to mod with a new bridge, tuners, and pickup(s).

Of course, the ThunderJet just looks f-ing awesome and maybe I should just hold out for that. The price difference is massive though, so I'd kinda like to try out the Junior jet anyway, even refitting it with a whole bunch of different parts it'd still be like 1/4th the price of the ThunderJet.

I've also been looking at those newish cheap-o worn brown Gibson SG basses, abit pricier.. I'm the mood for a new short scale cause I've been playing and loving my Hofner Icon (my first bass!) alot recently, and I'm looking for something a little sturdier.
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

My first bass, after years of playing treble guitar, was a Gretsch Junior Jet II, a G2220 (there is an older model with a different model number but the same name; that one had a different body / neck join, and different pickups). I've very much enjoyed it. It's short-scale, which made the transition from treble easier, and I like the spacing of the strings. I put flats on it fairly soon after buying it, because I found the E string supplied by Gretsch to be a bit floppy.

It seems minorly sensitive to temperature variations, and I retune more often than I do my Les Paul... but that may be all basses; I have no standard for comparison at the moment.
  3. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

They are great little basses for recording or live use. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you plan on modding one, you have limited options compared to say, a Squier P or J bass. For example, with the Squiers, there are literally dozens of replacement pickups available whereas for the Gretsch, you only have 3 or 4 options for upgrading pickups.
  4. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

My Gretsch is an awesome bass - great tone, hot pickups and so easy to play. I added the parts that you're thinking about too. I changed the tuners to top of the line Gotohs and the bridge to a beautiful Babicz high mass bridge. There was a little bit of crackling and noise when I adjusted the pots, so I installed a nice layer of copper tape inside the cavity and changed the pots, switch and jack for nice CTS and Switchcraft pieces. So with all of the mods, the bass is now just about perfect.

If you're interested in buying one of these, just so you know, there's a difference in design between the newer ones made in China and the older ones made in Korea. Mine is a MIK one (it's transparent red too, which I've never seen anywhere else), but if you look at the position of the bridge on the body, you will see the difference immediately. I don't know anything about the MIC models, but I can vouch for the MIK ones.

Good luck!