Gretsch or Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Polo35, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Polo35

Polo35

I've just bought a Gretsch 2220 Junior Jet Base and so far I'm enjoying playing it. However I can't help admiring the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar short scale bass. I've still got a few weeks if I want to return the. Gretsch. Should I stick with the Gretsch or return it and go for the Squier? What do you guys think?

2. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

The jaguar will feel and sound much different to what you have now. Go play it and compare

3. Polo35

Polo35

I've not played the Jaguar but I've heard it and I like the sound. I like the sound on the Jet Bass as well. This one is coming down to looks I think

4. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Polo35

Polo35

Why would you stick with the Gretsch Jenny?

7. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I have a G2220. I love the sound, and I love the things that other people have done with them, that show me the directions that upgrades, should I choose to persue them (and I don't know that I will) could go.

But mostly, I like my guitar, and I don't care for the Jaguar. So there you go.

8. Polo35

Polo35

Thanks for that Jenny. I went for the G2220 because it was something a bit different from the usual P or J bass everyone went for. I think I just prefer the looks of the Jaguar bass

9. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

You know, at that price point, there's no reason you couldn't have both.

10. Polo35

Polo35

This is very true Jenny. I was actually thinking that.

11. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

If you keep the Gretsch, make sure you post in on the Gretsch Owner's thread.

12. Polo35

Polo35

Will do I didn't know there was one I'm new here. I'm going to keep it and will buy the Squire as well at some point soon. I'm just getting back into playing again.

13. Polo35

Polo35

I can't find the Gretsch Owners Club thread on here

14. mongo2

mongo2

15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

16. Polo35

Polo35

I think it will be both mongo2 as they are both affordable

17. Polo35

Polo35

I'm looking for a white scratch plate for mine as you can only get the black version in the UK. Anyone know where I can get a white scratch plate from?

18. MakoMan

MakoMan

I have both, although my Gretsch is a G2202. I would never sell either one as they are both great basses.
    I will note however that when I gig with my Squier Jag no one ever looks twice at it. When I gig with the Gretsch I get all kinds of compliments about what a cool bass it is.

19. Polo35

Polo35

That's why I bought the Gretsch because it's different and as I said before everyone goes for a p or a j bass. I also have a Vintage Stringray 4 Bass which is long scale. It's got to no strings at the moment but I think I'm going to get it restrung.

20. Polo35

Polo35

I'm going for it I'm going to buy the Squier in a couple of weeks or so. I know I've only just bought my Gretsch but it was a difficult choice for me between the two and at the price I thought why not?

21. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

Given the cost of these instruments, how much of a bath can you take if you decide you want/need to sell one of them? If one buys a new >$500 instrument and decides to sell it, I would think he would lose more on it than you would if you were to burn your Squier Jag. I don't know what you paid for the Gretsch, but I'm sure the economics would be similar.