1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Grind Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Deathmetals123, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Deathmetals123

Deathmetals123

Ok so here's the deal: I play bass with some friends of mine in a really groovy death metal band. Some of our big influences are nasum and napalm death (technically they are grindcore but whatever) and i really love that sawing grinding tone those guys get out of their basses. In about two weeks my band is recording an ep in studio for the first time. It would be really great if i could finally settle on a tone before then...So once again just looking for any ideas on how to get the groovy grindy tone (listen to nasums between the walls for a good example of what i'm trying to get)...Many Thanks to anyone who can help me out!!!

2. Ray man

Ray man

Have you tried the Tech 21 RBI?

3. rodl2005

rodl2005

tech 21 VT bass pedal too. set to the more extreme drive/character settings

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Get a tube amp, crank the **** out of it, play with a pick.

Works.

Hmm... that's exactly the type of tone I hear when I think groove grind (like Gruesome Stuff Relish or slow Rotten Sound songs). Not much in the tone department.

I once asked the Rotten Sound guys what kind of gear their bassist plays. Their answer was basically, a Fender Jazz into an old Laney tube amp. And boy does that guy trash his axe lol. Really heavy on the pick hand, but sweet tone. Lots of fret clank though, but I like it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar

I use a Warwick 'vette standard through an all tube SVT-II pro....if I get crazy with the gain and drive settings, it grinds for days. I'm sure the pedals previously listed will give you a killer sound too, but I'm a bit of a troglodyte when it comes to effects.

7. Ray man

Ray man

I think the VT will give a fatter, rounder, overdriven sound. But the RBI has that lean super edgy tone thats more aggressive.

I love them both. But for edge, the RBI has a faster cutting attack while the VT has a more compressed 'pillowy' sound thats more vintage.

8. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

sansamp. dont scoop the mids. heavy pick attack. done.

9. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i've used the mxr m80 straight to di with the parallel out going to an old 70's watkins valve combo (and heavy pick)- instant grind!
    It is also poss with just the m80.

10. Tonegasm

Tonegasm Supporting Member

This. I use a PBDDI and it kicks major arse for this tone. No mid knob but you can control that on your amp's preamp.

11. Deathmetals123

Deathmetals123

Thanks guys! I settled on the the tech 21 vt bass pedal. Once i get enough money i'll probably head for more sansamp stuff. This pedal looks promising until then. It should be on my front porch wednesday morning. Thanks for all your replies

12. sutarappa

sutarappa Supporting Member

have fun with the VT! as with any effect, patience and experimentation go a long way to getting sounds you like.

this is an astute comparison. :bassist:

13. Ray man

Ray man

I had to look up 'astute' in the dictionary.:D

14. basey

basey

I know Dan Lilker from Brutal Truth uses a Tech21 GT-2. I think Shane Embury used a regular sansamp BDDI, at least at some point.
    I tried those, the mxr80 and the EHX bass muff pi. I ended up with the Aguilar Agro rackmount. IMO Its easier to change the character of the tone to help fill in the space the guitar distortion lacks making the two together sound thicker. Your picking style and bass has alot to do with it too.

You'll probably, go through a bunch of them too before your happy.

15. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Shane Embury also uses the GT-2, for the record.