Grizz's first bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jonny5bass, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

I've been trolling around luthiers corner for a while now and have wanted to start my build. I probably jumped the gun a bit but I was just too anxious. Basically I just traced the neck and body of my current jazz 5 string. Here are some pics. Hope you enjoy. I'm sure I'll have tons if questions soon. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396930672.073619.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396930694.340036.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396930705.124890.jpg

2. CholisGuitars

CholisGuitars

Nice quilt top and curly neck. I love that combo.

3. theStink

theStink

I'm coming up, bringing booze. Soon, I promise.

(It's Pete)

4. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

As I promised, my first question has come up. I'm not totally sure how to get a centerline on the neck and body. I did my best to get a line through the middle string of the bridge corresponding to the center of the truss rod on my traces but I don't entirely trust them. I used those lines for gluing up the body but like I said before, I was just anxious to see progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

And also, thanks stanky P.

7. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

And much thanks to cholisguitars. Hope you dig the outcome.

8. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Center-line you say?

It's usually the first thing I establish on a drawing, and then also on the piece of wood I'm cutting, so that went I put my template down,(which also has the center-line) I have a point of reference.

So, at this stage of the game, I think you are going to have to make an assumption and say that the center-line on the body is where you have the two pieces of wood joined.

The neck is a little trickier. There are a couple ways you can go about doing this.(This is assuming you have cut the neck to final shape)
    1) Using a measuring device of your choosing, measure the width of the neck, divide by 2 and mark that spot. I suggest you do this in at least 2 places. Down near the nut, and at the opposite end by the heal. When you do the half distance mark, measure it form the same side. Draw a line between the 2 points, and you have your center-line. You may also want to put a few more center points like at the 5th fret, and 12th fret to validate you've cut your neck straight.

2) If you know how to use a compass, you can establish the center points by setting the radius to an inch or so, putting the point on the very edge of the neck(treble side), and drawing an arch so that it crosses the center-line. Repeat that on the same point only on the bass side. Where the 2 archs intersect is the center point. Repeat the process like in the first example I mentioned above and draw in your. This process has a little more error built into it in, so be careful.

Hope this makes sense

9. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Thanks scoops. Yes, jumped in quickly with no drawing but I figured by having a finished bass to trace I'd be ok but now I know. I did take measurements at the nut and down by the heel to find a centerline but I'm just not 100% sure it's accurate. I'll try checking with the compass trick.

10. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

11. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Figured out the centerline on the neck. I ended up tracing the nut, 12th fret and 21st fret onto my template, dividing the lengths of each trace and came up with a convincing centerline. I went to use the compass trick but my compass must have been thrown out. Oh well, I'm still convinced I have enough tools to get this done. Now to find the time...

12. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398226144.989502.jpg
    Made a quick and dirty router jig for the truss rod cut. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398226159.122032.jpg
    And done with that. Came out pretty good but a little loose. I think the router warbled in the base when I had to adjust the depth. Any reason I should not put a little silicone under the structural parts (i.e. Under the non turning parts)?

13. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Bridge and pickups came today! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398394578.072500.jpg
    I've got a couple different pieces to make the fingerboard. The first pic is a piece of rosewood I found recently that I'm liking more and more. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398394762.154799.jpg
    I originally intended on using this nice piece of maple for the fingerboard since it is a resawn piece from the same wood as the neck. I was thinking I'd do a dye on the body so that the figure would still come through but it wasn't just all maple as far as the eye could see. Now I'm not sure.

14. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Guess who slotted their first fingerboard? This guy.. I'm going to get the piece of rosewood slotted and ready as well to do a little comparison. Also some inlays showed up but now I think I may use them on something else. Any opinions out there?

Attached Files:

15. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

I got the maple fingerboard cut to the shape of the neck and started radiusing. Sorry, no pics but it's starting to feel like I'm making actual progress. I also got a sheet of blue and a sheet of black veneers so if I do stick with all maple everything I'll put one if those between the neck and fingerboard for a little something.

16. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

17. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Thanks, I've been working out. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  18. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Are there really no opinions on the maple vs. rosewood? Hoping to get some thoughts on it.

19. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

20. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

Thanks Lisa! Once I get the rosewood slotted I'll get a pic up. It's got a cool vein of white wood in it too that I thought would tie in the maple really well. I was worried it was sap wood or something that wouldn't be as structurally sound but it seems to hold up to fingernail tests as well as the rest of the piece. Btw, your builds are awesome! I especially liked your buckeye burl bass and was happy to see your tdpri build get finished. It turned out beautifully!

21. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I really like the white area in it too. Are you dying the body or leaving it natural?

Thank you!