Groove Metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Any recommendations on some good groove metal besides Pantera? I love Pantera to death, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there in the way of groove. Seems to be pretty scarce :(
  2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not sure if I really know what groove metal means, but I seem to recall Lamb of God being put in that category. Seems about right.
  3. Drop-D

Drop-D Supporting Member

Meshuggah is a good one.
  4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

check out Periphery (very similair to Meshuggah in parts, as they are heavily inspired) but have a listen! they have some awesome guitar riff grooves! really tight sounding.
  5. dfmilkman

dfmilkman

You ever listen to Sepultura? They're kind of a groove metal staple I think. Check them out if you like Pantera!
  6. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

One of the best groove metal bands in my opinion is Gojira. I just saw them a few days ago at the legendary Fillmore. So awesome!
  7. TomA1234

TomA1234

Trepalium for some heavier groove metal:
    (This is one song that HAS to be listened to)
  8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Seen these guys a dozen times. Awesome band. Got to have a beer with Jean-Michel Labadie too and he's a super cool guy who knows his stuff.

If you like Gojira you should check out another French band, Hypno5e. 'Acid Mist Tomorrow' was one of the albums of 2012.

Groove metal? Naff label, but I think I know what you mean.

Clutch is a no-brainer.

And Meshuggah...well, now were talking. Forget the imitators. As a fan for 20 years I consider myself TB's very own one-man Meshuggah authority committee. Simply untouchable.

And the secret to grooving at a Meshuggah show is to just nod your end in time with Tomas' hi-hat. All the other stuff comes into time eventually, just not all at once :)
  9. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

I always considered Meshuggahh to be more Math metal than Groove oriented, although they do have some great grooves in there from time to time.
  10. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

At first I thought of Nu metal ... the only style of "metal" that merge distorted guitar with rap beat ... like Korn and Limp Bizkit and other band of that period of time.

Meshuggah play in 4/4 with a phrase in 5/8 ... no wonder it is kind of awkward but repetitive.
  12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

When I think of metal that grooves, the first record that comes to mind is White Zombie's "La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One". But since you listed Sean Yseult as an influence in your profile, you're prolly already familiar with that one. BTW, I love your screen name!
  13. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Bands Like Pantera? Check out A Perfect Murder.

A Fan could confuse the two.
  14. Tupac

Tupac

What exactly is groove metal? Like this? Or Rage Against the Machine?
  15. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372

Gojira is great groove metal, as is Meshuggah, earlier Lamb of God isnt bad and very much Pantera influenced. i agree that Helmet could be considered groove metal in alot of their songs. i would even stray to say that Neurosis could even have alot of good grooving riffs.
  16. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

Hey dude, you and I hail from the same city. You play in a band?
  17. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Holy crap dude, no way! 'Noma \M/! And yeah, I'm with Amongst Reason, are you in a band?
  18. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Check out DevilDriver. The early stuff fits in that category I think.
  19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Devil driver, machine head, gojira, exhorder, dry kill logic, nothingface, slipknot, Mudvayne, grip inc, enemy of the sun, gzr/geezer, seven dust, anthrax, testament, corrosion of conformity, Sepultura, late carcass, late haunted, candiria, ankla, chaimera, ikillya, lamb of god, diecast, white zombie, soulfly, suicidal tendencies, and puya, puya, PUYA! ( groove metal,is kind of my thing )
  20. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

Huh, like to consider myself pretty plugged in to our local scene, though it seems to be ever evolving. Not sure I'm familiar with Amongst Reason, I'll check you guys out.

I play with Boo Radley's House. We're playing Quincy's in RP with 26 MPH and Rex Per Diem this Friday if you wanna come check us out. We're putting together a bunch of shows for Spring Summer and always looking for good, similar bands to share bills with.

Okay sorry for the thread derail guys. BACK TO GROOVE METAL :bassist: