Ground/60Hz hum from Fender jazz VB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Smit_Dogg, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Hello TBers, I know this is probably an age old thread that's been chucked up on here plenty of times but here goes... just recently, myself and a bass buddy have been contemplating doing a trade of basses but we're trailing each others before the deal is cemented. My Lakland 44-02 (plus cash) for his Fender jazz Victor Bailey. I really do like this bass, tone wise, build and playability. At home it sounds fine, virtually no background noise etc. Upon practicing in a band situation at an old hut, I get a prominent buzz, crackling hum similar to the 60Hz cycle hum. It disappears when I touch any hardware or the strings. I've looked inside the cavity and it seems to be well grounded and shielded. Also when I engage my overdrive pedal the hum is completely eliminated. Which is great but I don't want to always use the tone of the overdrive pedal, even with the drive setting down. I was wondering if I could get any feedback back off some of you guys, possibly links to other threads, YouTube videos etc.

Regards

Smit_Dogg

2. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

OK, so I decided to shield this bass. After going more in depth with an inspection, I realised the electronics cavity had a thin layer of conductive paint shielding and I hardly got a continuity bell when running a multimeter over it. Also looking at the pickup cavity showed there were no shielding at all. I've used both conductive paint and copper tape. 2 layers of paint then a top layer of tape in each pickup cavity and electronics cavity. I linked the cavities together with an old bass string soldered to the tape. It sorted the problem out extremely well. It's pretty much DEAD quiet now.

3. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

My Jazz used to pick up the radio stations in addition to the hum. Already had the Fender paint so shielded the inside of the pickup covers and grounded them, pretty silent now.

4. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

I'm surprised a big brand like Fender don't spend more time on the shielding process. But I suppose in the production business time means money and they've got to think about the buyer in terms of reasonably pricing the final product.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

It's not the best idea to double shield. It creates a capacitor, if there isn't continuity between everything.

7. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

That's why I make sure the continuity is spot on pal. I ran an old string between each cavity and soldered it down to the copper :)