1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Ground hum from Magnatone Hurricane

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GretschWretch, Apr 7, 2014.

1. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

I've got a Magnatone Hurricane bass I've been tweaking to get giggable. The original wiring bypassed the tone control on the grounding circuit and also had no ground running from the jack to the bridge (which seems to be common on Maggie Hurricanes). I
    added a ground wire to the bridge and shaved off some insulation
    to ground to the tone pot, and the bass is good to go, except now I've got hum.

The hum is not audible with just the volume control engaged; but once the tone control comes into play, there it is. Touching the pot shank greatly reduces the hum, but I cannot rely on this type of ground because the bass has tapewounds on it and when I am playing I am touching no metal.

Did my messing with the factory (partial) grounding create the hum? If I undo my tweak will the hum go away? Or am I just stuck with it unless I load the bass with metal strings and eliminate the hum via a "touch" ground?