1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ground Wire Thickness?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hues, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hues

Hues

Does the size/gauge of a bass' ground wire make a difference?

I ask because my New-2-Me bass has one that resembles a strand of Angel Hair pasta...And I've seen others that are a good bit thicker.

Yes, there have been humming issues.
  2. EricssonB

EricssonB

There's a certain threshold that can send lightning to earth, but I can't recall the minimum gauge. Other than that...
  3. line6man

line6man

Makes no difference whatsoever. The current is extremely low, and the skin effect does not come into play in this application.
  4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you have a test light, you can easily check for a ground loop. It's the current flowing between two separate devices that causes the problems. If you connect the clip to one piece and touch the probe to the chassis of the other, you definitely have a ground loop if it lights up. Use the kind with a bulb, not the LED type. The ground wire's gauge has little to do with whether is causes/inhibits a ground loop. If the equipment is connected to different circuits or different phases of the power supply feed, a ground loop is likely.
  5. line6man

line6man

Basses are not built to handle lightening strikes, and nor could any practical design choices be implemented to allow them to be.
  6. Hues

Hues

Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking I'd need to do a new install.
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Hum, or buzz? Humming can be cause by single coil pickups. The high pitched buzzing is usually fixed with shielding.
  8. Hues

Hues

Buzz might be the better word.
    It was a case were I'd play and noise happens when there was no skin contact with any metal. Strings, bridge,knobs,etc.

*By the way,...Just what part of the bridge is the ground wire soldered to?..The underneath?
    I have a standard P-bass copy.
  9. warnergt

warnergt

ArcAttack
    [​IMG]
  10. EricssonB

EricssonB

There's always someone who knows more.

:cool:
  11. Tense Zombie

Tense Zombie

I always just use left-over 22AWG wire with a multi-strand core.