Grounded to string ferrule!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I removed the electronics from my bass in anticipation of the arrival of the replacement pickups, etc. I removed the bridge in order to pull the ground. No wire route. Instead, there is a ground to the E string ferrule.

When I install the new parts I wonder if I will have problems making a good ground. If that doesn't work properly, would it work if I put a screw in the cavity and grounded to that?

2. pfox14

pfox14

If I am understanding this correctly, you have strings through the body, right? If the ground is only to the E string ferrule than only the E string is grounded, which is completely wrong. All the strings need to be grounded.

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i tired grounding to a ferrule on one of my basses and it did not work well. i don't know why. i went ahead and drilled a hole to ground to the bridge, and that did work properly. maybe it was the type of strings...like i said, i don't know.

i am not a fan of the screw in the cavity idea, you want to ground to the strings somehow if you can. lots of surface area seems to be a factor here.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I'm certainly no expert (that's why the question,) but if the E is grounded and it touches the bridge it seems like all would be grounded.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    This^^^ is correct.
    Unless you're using tapewound strings, in which case I think grounding the bridge would be useless.

7. yodedude2

in my experience, it helps to ground to the bridge even if the strings (tapewounds) are not grounded. not as good, but you don't have much choice if you're using tapewounds...

8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    On second thought, tapewounds would be grounded (via the ball ends) to the bridge on anything other than a string-through.

9. yodedude2

yes, but there's no grounding 'effect' from touching the strings when you play them...

unless perhaps you are agile enough to keep your pinky on the balls while you play...

:rollno:

10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Interesting. If it were me, I would ground the bridge and all string ferules. Having an ungrounded bridge is just asking for trouble. I never thought about the (lack of) grounding effect with tapewounds, because I never use them, but I'd want everything grounded, including all strings and tuners. Normally that is taken care of by the grounded bridge (with non-taped strings), but not in a case like this.

11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    True. But the amount of EMI my ungrounded body would reflect to the pickups is minimal compared to what those long ferrous antennae (strings) would if left ungrounded.