Grounding Issue with Elixir Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MacCailc, Dec 19, 2004.

1. MacCailc

MacCailc

Hi Everybody,

I'm a new user - thanks for the chance to participate.

I recently installed a set of Elixir Nanoweb strings on my Mike Lull Vintage 4 with single coil Fralin pickups with exposed polepieces. I like the tone of the strings, but I noticed a problem. Whenever there is any incidental contact between my plucking fingers and the polepieces, I get a light popping sound through the amp, same as if I had removed my hands from the instrument and then touched the bridge or control plate. I assume this is happening because the coating on the strings is insulating my hands from the string and therefore from the instrument ground (I never had a problem with uncoated strings).

Has anyone else had this experience with Elixirs, and if so did you figure out anything that can be done about it? I e-mailed Gore music, and they suggested I lower the pickups or cover the polepieces with an insulator (e.g. electrical tape - blecch!). I contacted Roger Gee at Mike Lull Guitar Works and he suggested trying to remove some of the coating where the strings contact the bridge, but I don't think that would work because there would still be insulation between fingers and strings. Anybody have other ideas, or should I just give up on coated strings? Unless I'm doing something wrong, this seems like it would be a common problem, but I haven't been able to find any other mention of this issue anywhere so far.

Thanks again,

Mac