1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Grounding Pickups, what wire gauge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avattz, Dec 4, 2013.

1. avattz

avattz

Hi there, long time no see.

I have been using my active jazz bass for a long time now, the only problem is that I have to lower the high and mid range so the guitar doesn't buzz. I've read other threads on this problem and it seems that my pickups are not grounded.

I plan on wiring the pickups but I was wondering what kind of wire I should use. Coming from a computer background I prefer thicker gauges but I'm wondering if that will affect my guitar's sound since it's an analog device. I like using high quality 14 gauge stranded tinned copper wire.

Would aluminum, silver, or platinum wire be better? What gauges would be the most fitting for a "bass" sound?
  2. line6man

line6man

It makes absolutely no difference what you use, for this application. Just keep in mind that thin solid wire is brittle, and thick wire tends to be inflexible.

Most commonly, 22 gauge stranded copper wire is used.
  3. surdopickups

surdopickups

Disclosures:
    small crafts as a hobby
    I fully agree with the answer provided by line6man.
  4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

You should never be able to hear that side of the circuit, so you could use anything. Early Fender Jazz basses had a copper strip running from the underside of the bridge pickup to the bridge itself. As Line6man says, you want wire that isn't too brittle or too inflexible.
  5. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

It is unlikely that "pickups not grounded" is the true cause for your buzz. It's very hard not to ground EMGs.
  6. line6man

line6man

Many pickups have separate grounds for the pole pieces, to keep them quiet when you touch them. That's why you can have grounding issues with the coil still wired properly.

The OP made no mention of EMG pickups.
  7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Oh. Well the OP should have said what he has.