1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Growl Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tykus, Oct 15, 2012.

1. tykus

tykus

Can you tell me if there is an effect that would add "jazz growl" to my Precision bass?
  2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Yup...called EQ. ;-)
  3. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

And the right kinda strings ...
  4. PJSim

PJSim

Try some overdrive and eq'ing , in my ears the growl is in the mid frequencies ...
  5. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Flats on a fret-less, with the tone to the darker side.

or, an FEA Growler...if you can find one. Or, an overdrive pedal at VERY light settings.
  6. tykus

tykus

Was searching Internet for FEA Growler but couldn't find one for sale. So I guess overdrive + EQ is the way to go! Thanks guys.

Btw. Which Overdrive and EQ pedal would you recommend?
  7. PJSim

PJSim

8. tykus

tykus

I will probably play a little with the EQ first and at some point will get MXR Blowtorch. Saw a demo on youtube and liked the sound.

Thank you all for the input!
  9. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

So...I've been having the same problem and you know what has worked for me???

The Behringer Bass Driver clone. Jazz basses have a deep upper mid scoop and P basses have a big lower mid boost. This pedal gives me the right kind of scoop and the presence control gives me the chimey bright tones of a Jazz bass.
  10. capncal

capncal

um, how 'bout a Jazz Bass?
  11. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I know for me personally my Pbass (well, G&L SB-1) is the perfect bass for me but in my current band I really need a jazz bass sound but I can't afford an new bass (nor do I want one).
  12. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Check the Agilar Tone Hammer. Tunable mids, plus an overdrive circuit. I get good growl from mine, despite being on a cheapo stingray copy.
  13. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I like the Rusty Box also for some growl
  14. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

My P bass gets a good growl. I just use the Ampeg setting on my Zoom B2 labeled A0 and I have Fender 7250's on the bass, with the tone turned all the way up
  15. dreads311

dreads311

Don't talk about my girlfriend like that! :)
  16. ChrisHooker

ChrisHooker

Also lowering the action to induce a bit of fret buzz can add growl.
  17. makanudo

makanudo

darkglass b3k?
  18. Steveaux

Steveaux

I thought he was talkin' about my ex-wife.

:smug:
  19. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

This is gonna sound crazy, but try a Boss flanger BF-2. I wish every pedal had a momentary function like this thing. Of course you have to voice it your instrument, but I have my rate set around 4, depth around 8, manual at 6, and res at 4. I hit it just when I need a little more mwah.

This is a little off topic, but the same settings work well on my Ken Smith BSRJ5MW. When I play 3-note chords in the low register, say around G or F#, it really helps pull just the right amount of mud to make em audible in a three-piece band setting.
  20. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

J Growl is essentially the same as P Grunt. Both describe delicate sonic events that can be easily destroyed. They are all about tightness in the bottom octave. Detail in that range may seem a strange subject, so let me liken this to the difference between MP3 and CD. The first time I taste-tested an MP3 file against a CD, I listened to an exposed low tuba passage. In the MP3, the pitch was reproduced faithfully, but that was all. On the CD, I could fairly hear each individual juicy flapping of the tubist's lips. Now there is no way that EQ or speakers or any other device can add what's not there. It can add emphasis to a certain frequency, sure, but not detail. So if we want grunt or growl, we need first to preserve that sonic event, then to make sure nothing obliterates it. If you're not hearing it with what you already have, no amount of adding boxes will help, so first fix what you have. After that, you may be reluctant to add more stuff because of the chance of wiping over the goodness you already have.