1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Growliest Fender Jazz for under $900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sideFX, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sideFX

sideFX

I'm considering buying a new Fender Jazz bass, so which one is has the most growl?

No PU changes or anything, just stock, out of the box.

I'm after this tone in particular.

2. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    Strings and signal chain also play a big role, those videos definitely have some added grit to the signal.

Any reason you are dead set on buying new? You'll get exponentially more value for your money buying used
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla Supporting Member

My '07 Geddy direct into the computer with everything on the bass maxed sounds like Tom Waits' singing, gravelly.
  4. sideFX

sideFX

That's not so true about buying used where I'm at. Unfortunately I live in a small town in the country and all those who sell basses & gear are located 120km(75 miles) away from me, so I can't justify multiple trips back and forth just to see and test the used gear.
    Besides that there's not much stuff for sale in my country anyway and buying from ebay from the U.S results in $100-120 shipping cost plus 30-40% in added taxes at import.

At the moment I'm in between the classic 60s, the classic 70s and the Geddy Lee, will buy from Thomann Germany.
  5. kbaxter26

kbaxter26 Supporting Member

Oh the Classic Fender Jazz GROWL!!! I LOVE IT.
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

For that price I recommend a Geddy.
  7. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Get a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, the person in the second example you posted is using one, as per the description. That plus any Jazz Bass with roundwounds and a good setup is gonna get you there.
  8. sideFX

sideFX

9. Tamey75

Tamey75

I would have to Say the Aerodyn Jazz Bass sleek but gritty
  10. sideFX

sideFX

Yeah I've seen it in the description but I can't afford a Bass Driver DI at the moment, neither buying replacement pu's, that's why in my initial post I asked for the closest thing to this tone from an all new stock bass.
  11. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Idk man check em out.
    Go to a local store and see what they got, Find what you like.
  12. Toptube

Toptube

the other thing to consider is that most of the people in those videos are probably using a lot of tone shaping either via their amps, pedals, or both. See: what you hear is not just the bass ; )
  13. sideFX

sideFX

That's the problem, there's no store close to me, I have to travel 3 hours for the closest one.
  14. WOOSTER

WOOSTER

I have a newer Fender Standard Jazz Bass MIM that I use over my 2 American basses. Growly as a Grizzly
  15. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I'm confused. You are asking about $900 basses but
    you can't afford a BDDI.

Buy a $500 bass, a BDDI AND pups. Have it all for under $900.

If you want fender on the headstock get a MIM Jazz.
  16. kbaxter26

kbaxter26 Supporting Member

I concur, the newer MIM's are seriously GROWLY! Neck pot 8 other pots full, and dial in your amp...GROWL!
  17. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

I'd get a used American fender jazz. I see them on CL all the time for around $800. Try to shoot for an '08 or newer. Then grab a dirt pedal as suggested above.
  18. sideFX

sideFX

Ok, I should clarify that I'm willing to spend my money on a good bass, one that will stay with me for years.

I can't afford to spend any more on anything else, and I don't wanna buy a MIM standard. I'm not considering the American standard either, way too expensive here ($1800).

All 3 of the basses that I'm considering are MIM (classic 60s , 70s, Geddy - all cost between $1100-1250) I just don't want to buy the standard one (which is also too expensive fwiw @ $865).

edit: BDDI costs $380 and the cheapest pups start from $160

Unfortunately prices in the US don't equal prices for the exact same gear in other countries...
  19. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Where is here? Maybe that would help us make suggestions.
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic

I bet I could build one for under $300.