1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Growly P-Bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J03YW, Nov 25, 2012.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey, this holiday season I've ordered a TC Electronic BG250 amp, and to go with it I'm deciding to go with the Squier Classic Vibe 60's style P-bass. I'm trying to get that awesome Entwistle growl he had around 1970, and I think the amp's tubedrive will get me there (and please do tell me if I should get a Sansamp instead, I'm kinda reluctant to get one of those for their cost. I'd rather have a good amp), but I'll sort all that out. The main point of this thread are affordable, growly P-Bass pups. I'm looking for that throaty sound that Entwistle had, as stated before, and I'm not sure if the stock Squier pups can do that as well as some others, but if they can, please tell me. Please keep in mind that I don't have too much money, and passive ones would be preferable. Thanks!
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

3. J03YW

J03YW

Those are well within my price range, got a vid/soundcloud?
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

An old-school DiMarzio P-pup. After all, that's pretty much where it all started.
  5. J03YW

J03YW

which model would you call "old school"? I'm new to pickups

EDIT: Lol I guess that means the Model P?
  6. J03YW

J03YW

ok man, i think that's what i'm going with. thanks a ton!
  7. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

I find the stock pickups in my 62 AVRI to be pretty raunchy when used with Swing 66 strings and run wide open. Otherwise, I'd 2nd the Curtis Novak Charlie Christians.
  8. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

Put 500k pots in it lol I stuck some in my beater Squier and its super growly. Ymmv
  9. J03YW

J03YW

thanks for the tip, i bet i have some laying around.
  10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Squiers should already have 500K pots.
  11. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I don't unfortunately but Curtis makes some of the best hand wound pickups around I have these pickups in a P and they sound fantastic you can contact Curtis for more info.
  12. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I second the DiMarzio Model P to get you to the Live at Leeds tone, with of course, round wound strings. (a bone stock '65 P bass w/fender 7250's will totally nail that tone) And do the series/parallel switch option with the DiMarzio. Because this p/up has 4 wires (2 each side) it's easy to do the S/P mod. If you don't want to drill the 1/4 inch hole in your p/gard for the switch, get a push/pull switch pot for your tone knob. Series is how every P bass p/up set is wired together and if I had to choose I would prefer series, but you have the option to wire in a switch to allow connecting the two sides of the p/up in parallel. You get a brighter clearer sound, as if the p/up were closer to the bridge. A nice contrast to the DiMarzio's normal hot behavior. If I were doing a single p/up P bass, I would incorporate the S/P switch.
  13. J03YW

J03YW

Ok, I may do that in the future.