Grrrrrretsch - What Case for G2224 Junior Jet Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Feb 6, 2014.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I hate when a manufacturer puts out an instrument and doesn't have a case that will fit it or a suggestion of another brand of case that will fit. I have an Electromatic G2224 Junior Jet bass that needs protection! What do all you Junior Jet owners use?
  2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Was wondering that myself when I looked into those basses.

I'll bet the one for it's pricey cousin, the Thunder Jet Bass, would be a perfect fit. Unfortunately, it would probably cost you half of what you paid for your bass.

You may have to look for a deeper case and pad it. I got an inexpensive Les Paul case for my Melody Maker (which is thin): other than depth-wise, it is a perfect fit. So I just stick a pad in there so the guitar doesn't rattle around.

Try going down to you local music stores and see if they will let you test fit your bass into odd cases they have laying around. Maybe you'll get lucky.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I had the same problem with my off-the-'Bay Broadkaster a few years ago. There is a case for them, but getting anything from Gretsch is like pulling teeth. So, I made the rounds of the local music stores, and just kept trying cases until I found one that fit (a very nice TKL). That would be my advice, along with checking case makers websites, like Alligator or TKL. Or, just Googling 'bass guitar cases' and see where it leads. Or, search TB for the Gretsch owners forum; you might have to go back a long way in the index, though. That one doesn't get posted to very often. Gretsch Discussion Forum, and The Gretsch Pages sites are also places you might try. Good luck in your quest. :)
  4. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I thought Gretsch was now owned by Fender. You'd think their supply chain would be a little better if that's who owns them but maybe not...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Fender doesn't actually own Gretsch, like Gibson owns Epiphone, for example. They have a fairly convoluted marketing/parts agreement, but Gretsch is, for the most part, their oun company. Personally, I think it might be better if Fender did own them. Then there might be a better chance of getting a lefty bass from them. My '94 Broadkaster is the only one I've ever seen.
  7. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I get what you're saying but in a way, it would be sad to see a company as old and respected as Gretsch swallowed up by Fender. I think I'll be able to get a case or gig bag that fits properly, it'll just take a bit of research to find the right one.
  8. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

The Jr. Jet bass length and width are such that it will fit nicely into a Strat/Tele guitar case. The issue is the shape of the accessory compartment and its placement within the case.

Of course, it also fits into a bass case but the Jet is so short that it looks funny in one.

Back when I had a Jr. Jet bass I used a cheap Musician's Gear HSC as sold by MF. This one, in fact:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...r-deluxe-electric-guitar-case/540948000001000
  9. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I'd also be open to a gig bag as long as it is a high quality well padded bag. But again...size. That MF case looks ok, though.
  10. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

The MF cases are tolex-covered plywood. Not the greatest HSC in the world but priced about like a decent gig bag. I just prefer HSC's to gig bags. Had a couple of bad experiences with gig bags.

As I recall, when the Jr. Jet was in the MF case there was about 3/8" to 1/2" of space beyond the headstock with the rear strap pin touching the other end of the case. So.. there was very little longitudinal movement, which is good.

If you prefer gig bags, I did check and all my Strat/Tele gig bags would accommodate the Jr. Jet. In fact, I carried it home in a Strat gig bag when I bought it.
  11. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

If you find something good, report it. I prefer hard cases to gig bags, but I haven't found one that my Jr. Jet ii really fits. It's too long for Les Paul cases, and too short for Bass cases.
  12. MakoMan

MakoMan

The new Jr. Jets appear to be slightly longer than the older version, although I admit to not having compared them side by side.
    What I do know is my 2202 fits pretty much in any electric guitar case. The new ones appear to require either a bass case or a guitar case that is about 1/2" to 1" longer than standard.
    I'd try pawn shops. You might find a guitar hardshell case long enough to fit.
  13. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

My Jr. Jet was a 2202. First I've heard about any of the others differing in length. Why would they do that?
  14. MakoMan

MakoMan

The body on the newer models such as the 2210 joins the neck at the 15th fret instead of the 13th as on the 2202. The newer versions also have an extra fret.
  15. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

How would you describe the difference in tone between the 2210 and the 2202?
  16. MakoMan

MakoMan

I've only played the 2210 once in a store, so I'd have a hard time giving an opinion. I thought it sounded great and pretty similar to my 2202, but I'd need more time side by side to truly compare. I love the tone of my 2202.