1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GruvGear Fretwraps - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Jan 12, 2014.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Long story short I had an extremely unsatisfactory customer service experience through GruvGear, I would really like to not purchase their products again. I have no problem paying a premium for good CS and I have no problem never using a company with bad CS. The catch is that I love their products, while they overpriced and break regularly (the foam comes off the wrap on mine after a month or two,) I do not know any other alternatives. I would like to avoid hair ties, as I spent years looking for a proper one to no avail. I would think sweatbands might be a little too much, anybody ever use them?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Make your own? You could use a child's wristwatch and glue a piece of foam padding to the inside of it.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

How can love a product that's over-priced and breaks frequently? I don't get it.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have not found a comparable product, when they are working they do work great. It's just $30 (+ shipping) for three glorified sweatbands/hair ties is rather steep and for a $10 hair tie I would expect a little bit longer of use out of it.

I have never thought of that Bryan, honestly that sounds like a really good idea.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

For what it's worth, I ordered my Fretwraps about 2 years ago and they're not falling apart at all still, other than the painted-on "V".
  6. DiabolusInMusic

Maybe I just got some duds, it is not like I have gone through a pile of these things but the ones I do have all break in the same spot. The foam comes loose from the bottom portion and slides all over the place when you move it.
  7. spade2you

spade2you

Is there a sharp edge they might be catching on?
  8. DiabolusInMusic

Nope. I assume it is from the friction of them sliding to and forth from the headstock to the frets. I do not tap for extended periods in my music so I slip them on and off a handful of times a set.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

Update: GruvGear went further to try to rectify the situation, and while I am still not %100 satisfied, I feel nowhere near as slighted and do not feel the need to take my money elsewhere.

So move alone.... nothing to see here. :D
  10. spade2you

spade2you

Fair enough. I was going to pick some up sooner or later.
  11. DiabolusInMusic

Since GruvGear agreed to refund a portion of purchase and get my order out ASAP they have neglected to actually give me a refund, and they refuse to answer any of my e-mails. My order thankfully finally arrived, but I just wanted to spread the word that their CS is still extremely poor. To top it off, they sent me a different product option than what I ordered, but at this point I don't really care about the finish, I just wanted the product.