1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GruvGear Fretwraps - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Jan 12, 2014.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Long story short I had an extremely unsatisfactory customer service experience through GruvGear, I would really like to not purchase their products again. I have no problem paying a premium for good CS and I have no problem never using a company with bad CS. The catch is that I love their products, while they overpriced and break regularly (the foam comes off the wrap on mine after a month or two,) I do not know any other alternatives. I would like to avoid hair ties, as I spent years looking for a proper one to no avail. I would think sweatbands might be a little too much, anybody ever use them?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Make your own? You could use a child's wristwatch and glue a piece of foam padding to the inside of it.

3. pfox14

pfox14

How can love a product that's over-priced and breaks frequently? I don't get it.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have not found a comparable product, when they are working they do work great. It's just $30 (+ shipping) for three glorified sweatbands/hair ties is rather steep and for a $10 hair tie I would expect a little bit longer of use out of it.

I have never thought of that Bryan, honestly that sounds like a really good idea.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

For what it's worth, I ordered my Fretwraps about 2 years ago and they're not falling apart at all still, other than the painted-on "V".

7. DiabolusInMusic

Maybe I just got some duds, it is not like I have gone through a pile of these things but the ones I do have all break in the same spot. The foam comes loose from the bottom portion and slides all over the place when you move it.

8. spade2you

spade2you

Is there a sharp edge they might be catching on?

9. DiabolusInMusic

Nope. I assume it is from the friction of them sliding to and forth from the headstock to the frets. I do not tap for extended periods in my music so I slip them on and off a handful of times a set.

10. DiabolusInMusic

Update: GruvGear went further to try to rectify the situation, and while I am still not %100 satisfied, I feel nowhere near as slighted and do not feel the need to take my money elsewhere.

So move alone.... nothing to see here. :D

11. spade2you

spade2you

Fair enough. I was going to pick some up sooner or later.

12. DiabolusInMusic

Since GruvGear agreed to refund a portion of purchase and get my order out ASAP they have neglected to actually give me a refund, and they refuse to answer any of my e-mails. My order thankfully finally arrived, but I just wanted to spread the word that their CS is still extremely poor. To top it off, they sent me a different product option than what I ordered, but at this point I don't really care about the finish, I just wanted the product.