1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guage question for Chromes users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pbass4003, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Pbass4003

Pbass4003

Hey D'Addario Chromes players, I have some questions. First, I lurv my Chromes... I could eat em up! I've never played a string that was so tasty, yet rockin at the same time. I've been sporting reg. light 45-100s and I love how snappy and responsive they are on my P bass. My fingers just dance, etc. Now that I'm used to that gauge I'm wondering what the next gauge up (50-105) feels and sounds like. I wouldn't mind a bit more bottom and thump on my D/G strings. And when I drop to D-tuning, I'm sure 105 will help.

BUT... how much does the feel/sound change and will my R hand get tired faster? Also, the fast/thin neck on my MIJ P can be kind of temperamental, especially with seasonal changes.

Any real-life insight and/or sound clips would be helpful. Thanks, all!!!!
  2. Pbass4003

Pbass4003

Bump... anyone?
  3. dan1952

dan1952

Disclosures:
    Owner - Dan's Music, Inc.
    If the neck on your bass tends to be a little "variable" I wouldn't go heavier on string gauge. You may end up with a warped neck that won't straighten out.
  4. Pbass4003

Pbass4003

I don't think it's abnormal, just a finicky classic 70s-style neck and single steel truss.

I did some "qualitative research" via D'Addario's tension guide. The Mediums (45-105) would be a 15% increase in tension going from 180lbs to 207lbs. Still not sure what this translates to in real-life playability and tone...
  5. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

You won't get more bottom and thump out of a heavier D/G. The opposite is true actually.
  6. Pbass4003

Pbass4003

Seems contrary to Jamerson's steel cable 55-110 gauge, but go on...
  7. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

I think the thump in Jamerson's sound had more to do with the incredibly high action on his bass.
  8. tonym

tonym

I'm using the same gauge as you and love them. Can't speak to what the difference would feel like, but I found this video of a comparison of the Chromes in different gauges pretty helpful. (It's on a J, not a P, but should give you a pretty good idea of the variance.)
  9. cloverkeys

cloverkeys

I use 105s on my p bass and I can't imagine anything else. I played the lighter gauges in the store but went with the 105s. They didn't feel THAT much different, however, I have never had fatigue or hand soreness from playing hours on end so ymmv.