1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Guess how much GC's tech charges for a defret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Out of curiousity, I asked the guy how much he charges for a defret of my used Rockbass Corvette Basic.
    [​IMG]
    Wait for it......

$375

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

They charge ridiculous amounts for work. I asked them to replace a jack in my Gibson V guitar about 6 years ago and they quoted me $65 to do it. I ended up doing the work myself. It cost about $5 for a jack and took me less than an hour to do it.

3. Substandard

Substandard Supporting Member

It's likely prohibitively expensive cause he doesn't want to do it.

4. Gorn Captain

They guy was all gung ho about it. "Oh man that would be an awesome fretless" blah blah blah

If he filled the frets with unicorn blood, that when solidified imbues the player with the soul and skills of Jaco, then I might pay $375.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

I'm not all that surprised. I wanted a Bart P-J installed in one of my basses and was feeling lazy, so I dropped it off at the GC. For $160, the tech didn't shield anything, one of the wires was grounding the bass out, and the pickups had no height screws installed. They were still in the case. I just did the job myself and lesson learned.
    A $200 bass would be a good learning tool imo. Tons of videos covering how to do a defret job, and places like Stew-Mac has everything you'd need to get it done. Just my $.02.

7. Gorn Captain

I'm planning on doing it myself, I just was curious what number the guy would come up with. I thought he was kidding when he said $375, till he said "when do you wanna bring it in?"

8. kedo

kedo

Say "GC tech de-fret" in front of a mirror 3 times. See what happens...

9. Gorn Captain

Will my basses explode?

10. hampulator

hampulator

I'd hate to see the bill for a broken truss rod on a neck through...like I'm gonna have to prob. go through soon!

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

I don't know how the GCs in other states do it, but the GCs in Colorado send out 95% of their jobs. They will do simple jobs - rewire jacks, swap out pups & do basic setups - but everything else, including any & all amplifier work, is sent out to local luthiers & repair shops, and GC simply tacks on their comission fee.
    :rollno:

Find yourself a good local repair shop for major work, and learn how to do your own setups & minor repairs.

12. Gorn Captain

A close family friend and great luthier runs a local music shop and he does all my work for me. I just wanted to see what the GC guy would say. He apparently isn't a GC employee, but a tech they have in the store at a work station near the accessories department for 4 days a week. He seems pretty busy whenever I see him.

13. elbeau

elbeau

I like how you thought guitar center had techs. Its the musician's friend, zz sound, ebay and craigs list showroom. Find something you like, try it at the store and if ya dig it buy it for half the price somewhere else.

14. cbrophy

cbrophy

$375 doesn't sound so crazy...What, a good tech can't charge $50 bucks/hr? Anyone who works manually knows that's not crazy. Someone doing a defret job is going to spend conservatively, 5hrs? Maybe more. Parts/material? eh...it adds up. Now letting someone from GC do the work, that's on you to determine if he's worth the 50/hr....another discussion. If you can do the work cheaper and better...do it!

15. kedo

kedo

Jacos ghost will appear, moaning "gimme a gig... gimme a gig..."

Then he will throw all of your basses into a river.

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Are you sure he didn't hear "Refret"?

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i was terrified that they were going to have to fix my bass when i bought used from them when my luthier was out of town, thank goodness i just got another bad nickel round e string, i guess 2 in three years isn't so bad

18. Gorn Captain

Nope. He actually said it's the same price as a refret.

19. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

$375 sounds high even for a complete refret.

20. Gorn Captain

I'm having a friend of mine go in there later to ask the same question. I wonder if he gets the same response. Maybe I exude an air if wealth.

21. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I see the problem, you're in New York. Anything labor intensive is going to cost a lot. Of course, they probably just ship it to China where children do the work for pennies an hour. Heh.