1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Guidance for my first venture into effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 25, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I've been playing bass for a few years and I'm looking to purchase some type of multi-effect processor. I do some recording that involves my bass line along with pre-recorded mp3s. I'm currently just plugging direct into a Tascam DP-008 so I'd like an effects processor to sit between my bass and the Tascam to give me a different range of sounds. I play anything from simple country in which case the direct bass is usually an OK sound but for other stuff like Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie, I need a dirtier, crunchier tone. I'd also like the unit to have a built in tuner so I can tune while the bass is plugged into the unit instead of relying on a Snark or other type of "plug in" tuner, which is what I'm now using. I really have no experience with effects or anything of this nature so any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

3. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Either the Zoom Ms-60b or the Zoom B3 are great options, I use both and they've pretty much become the sole pedals that I rely on.

4. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Obviously, the B3 is $100 more that the MS60...has two additional screens...what are the main differences that make the B3 worth the double price tag? Does either have pre-set settings that are aimed to give a certain type of sound, or mimic a certain artist's sound?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BackonBass13

BackonBass13

Personally, I don't like "multi" pedals that do everything...half arsed. I like individual pedals that preserve a better tone. But I'm partial to Boss "multi" units. Never played the Zoom.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The B3 has almost twice the effect models and additional functionality like loop recording/playback, drum machine, and DI. If it's worth double the price depends on your wants/needs. I need a single pedal that can give me a ton of different sounds, and the 60b works great for me. Both units are solid. They don't have signature sounds, but they come with patch presets from the factory that suggest different possibilities, some of which are designed by pro bass players, and some are aimed at certain bass players (I think the 60b has a factory preset called "Red Hot" something or other).

One caveat is your need for a dirty/crunchy tone. Zoom's distortion and overdrives are definitely the weak link in their modelling. Everything else sounds great. You can find some good dirt using the preamps and amp sims instead of the actual distortion, though, so check out the patch ideas thread if you end up picking a Zoom, or else plan on having at least one external dirt pedal.

8. Swift713

Swift713

I haven't tried the MS-60B so I don't know which effects or amp models it doesn't have. I like the B3 because I can see and access what's going on. If you're just getting into this addiction it's a great place to start. If you don't mind a menu based signal chain then the MS-60B might work for you. I also like the USB interface on the B3 for recording.
    The amp models are the secret to nice dirty tones. I do use the Fuzz Face and Sansamp models a bit as well.

9. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

The Zoom B3 or MS-60B is a great place to start. I find the dirt emulations very useful as opposed to other digital pedals. I also tend to use an amp model in conjunction, but not necessary.

10. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

B3 will be much easy interface to tap into all it can do. I have quite a few multies (Boss, Line 6, and ZOOM)... B3 is by far the best bang for the buck. None of them have impressive dirt, but the B3 is the best of them and at least usable if you can't buy separate dirt pedals right away...

11. kevteop

kevteop

If all you do is country and rock music just get a tuner pedal and a sansamp. You won't find much use for anything else.

12. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

digital effects sound awful to me.

13. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

They sound just fine to my tin ear and my audience :D

Anyway, not everyone has the time and money to buy analog pedals just to find the .001% edge in tone that 99.9% audience will never notice.

Seriously, my whole pedal rig is digital. I play guitar and bass, and I have had $30 pedal perform better than a $300 analog pedal in a band situation.

14. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

I really like my B3. However, you should really think about what kinds of effects you want. If you can spend between 300-400$, getting 2-3 SourceAudio SB2 pedals might be the best option. As an example, if you need different distortions and some modulation (chorus, flanger, phaser), then, the SA OFD and Orbital are all you need. If you need Reverb or filters, there are pedals for that as well. The only reason why I mention this route is that, in the long run, you might be happier with the sound coming out of those pedals rather than the B3 or MS-60B. But, don't get me wrong, I love my B3, and I have a LOT of analog stuff on my board.

15. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

One other reason that I would recommend the B3 is because of the learning tool it provides. The computer interface and effects chain layout allows you to play with different routing options, gives you experience with the parameters of the different effects, and can give you a good idea of how you may want to spend your money when/if you eventually leave multi-land for individual pedals...

16. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm leaning towards a multi-effects pedal mainly because of price and the fact that I don't think I'll use it terribly often. I can see a few cases where I might want some fuzz or some "growl" to my sound and I like the option of an in-line tuner, but I what I do doesn't require the need for multiple pedals and a higher priced set-up. I know there are many opinions out there that individual pedals are "better" but I just can't justify the cost at this point, especially since there will be a lot of experimenting with exactly what I'll need. That said, what is the best way to look at the multi-pedal? Is the B3 kind of like 3 pedals in a row, each with their own effect? I take it that one of these would be the tuner, leaving two spaces for effects? Am I stating that correctly? Also, what is meant when people say "patch"? Is that just the combination of effects they're using?

17. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

With the B3 you get 3 pedals and the tuner is accessed by holding down the center footswitch for a couple of seconds. A patch is exactly what you just said.

18. dls119

dls119

I've tried a bunch of things, but the only two that I've kept consistently is my tuner and sansamp bddi. The only that I am considering adding is compression.

19. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I use a pod hd for all my effects except dirt. For different levels of dirt i use my sans amp RBI and gt2. For me digital works great for everything else besides dirt. But for fuzz/overdrive/distortion it absolutely has to be analog. I kick my pod on and off with a boss ls2 so it completely takes it out of the signal chain when I'm not using it. One of the cool features of the higher model pods is you can put an analog dirt pedal in the effects loop and set up a patch to include the effects loop