1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Guide to Ibanez SR500's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drp259, Jan 23, 2013.

1. drp259

drp259

I want to buy a used Ibanez SR500 and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of a guide to different variations of the SR500. I have been doing some research and mostly looking at them on guitarcenter.com and there seems to be a few features that vary and this is confusing to me.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

You should find something across the last decade referrin' to former Korean, now Indonesian SR500

I bet they always been mahogany body with a three band equalizer but don't know if Bartolini were on them right from the start, or slightly after, and I'm pretty sure the midscoop switch is something installed no more than 6/7 years ago whenever movin' from South Korea plants to Indonesian

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

In 2010 they stopped using the Bart MK1 EQ, and started using the new improved EQB-IIIS system (Bart PU's) with the new mid freq switch. You can (really) hear how it changes the whole bass's tone if you turn the mid boost up to about 3/4. Get a 2010 or newer if you can ... I have this same system on my SR600, and it has a very wide range of tonal capabilities.

4. 4dog

4dog

sr500's will not disappoint in any way unless your a fender guy thru and thru, then you will get over it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xdanxx

xdanxx

love mine. Love it even more after putting real made in America bart electronics in it.

7. Toptube

Toptube

They also stopped using Wenge in the necks. Now they are Jatoba/bubinga instead of Wenge/bubinga. I personally prefer the Wenge necks.

*they now also offer a Maple fretboard version, which has a maple/rosewood neck.

8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Instead of buying a used Ibanez SR500, why not buy a brand new Cort B4 for the same price? It's essentially the same bass made using the same parts in the same factory! You just cut out the middleman (in this case Ibanez). Two body woods are available, each relating to either the SR500 or the SR600. To me, it's a no brainer! :)