1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Guild b302 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StayinTime, Nov 16, 2012.

1. StayinTime

StayinTime

I am gassing for one of these. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in chiming in on their thoughts about this particular bass.

Would also love to hear what the neck is like

Thanks a bunch

Attached Files:

2. woodyng

woodyng

I only know i'd love to check one out,too. I have read here that the necks are pretty hefty and they can be a bit weighty. I would love to try a mahogoney one...

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The neck is a very full C shape which can feel a bit chunky to some. Not quite in vintage Pbass range but not thin like a Jazz. All the ones I've played (and the one I owned - my first bass bought used in 1992) have flat frets and play very fast.

The stubby upper horn (Guild pretty much just used the guitar body and stuck a bass neck on it) means that this bass has quite a bit of neck dive. The body is thin and most are mahogany body and neck so they are lightweight and this isn't a big deal standing up wearing a strap but seated you need to keep your left hand on it or it will head for the floor on you.

The stock pickups are fantastic. Fred Hammon (who made/makes Darkstars) said that they are his second favorite pickup after the Hagstrom Bi-Sonics that the Darkstars are based on. I agree.

Big resonant, chimey tone that works well in a mix. Sort of a deeper Ric sound IMO.

They are quirky but I think they are underrated and underpriced basses.

4. RhinoBass

RhinoBass

I've got a freeted one and would like to get a fretless one too (I've played a couple of them). The only thing I will say is that because of the body design, it is a major neck-diver.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mal1905

Mal1905

The bass in the photo is actually a B-301, the 302 has two pickups. They're a lovely bass to play, I've got one fretted and one fretless (B-301s) and have been completely satisfied with them in all situations. And, they're a great looking bass ;)

7. StayinTime

StayinTime

Thanks for the response guys. Thanks for clearing that up for me Mal. Would you be interested in possibly posting some pics of your bass?

I have been looking for any that are up for sale and havent had much luck.

8. Mal1905

Mal1905

I just called my parents and asked them to take the Guilds out of storage. I really need to start playing them again - I've been suffering from a dose of Fenderitis recently and could do with a change!

They pop up every so often, but wouldn't be commonplace basses.

9. StayinTime

StayinTime

yes you do need to start playing them again.

I just checked out a demo on youtube by a guy named John Watson. Very cool tone.

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I played a B301 for 22 years (fretted) and what they other guys said is true. Great bass but it does have neck dive, a chunky neck, and mine was on the heavy side. Overall, they are a great bass though and you can usually find them pretty cheap.

11. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

+1

Best review of the B301/B302 I have ever seen. Nothing left for me to say so I'll just post pics.

12. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

13. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

I've got a nice Guild B302F - been playing it this afternoon through my Lab series L2 amp - roughly the same vintage.

It's a great bass - i'm no fretless player (I've actually been trying to swap this for a fretted one with no luck - and i'm in the UK before you offer) but I recorded some sound samples - have a listen

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/bass/B302F_soundclips.php