1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guild b302 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StayinTime, Nov 16, 2012.

1. StayinTime

StayinTime

I am gassing for one of these. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in chiming in on their thoughts about this particular bass.

Would also love to hear what the neck is like

Thanks a bunch

Attached Files:

2. woodyng

woodyng

I only know i'd love to check one out,too. I have read here that the necks are pretty hefty and they can be a bit weighty. I would love to try a mahogoney one...
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The neck is a very full C shape which can feel a bit chunky to some. Not quite in vintage Pbass range but not thin like a Jazz. All the ones I've played (and the one I owned - my first bass bought used in 1992) have flat frets and play very fast.

The stubby upper horn (Guild pretty much just used the guitar body and stuck a bass neck on it) means that this bass has quite a bit of neck dive. The body is thin and most are mahogany body and neck so they are lightweight and this isn't a big deal standing up wearing a strap but seated you need to keep your left hand on it or it will head for the floor on you.

The stock pickups are fantastic. Fred Hammon (who made/makes Darkstars) said that they are his second favorite pickup after the Hagstrom Bi-Sonics that the Darkstars are based on. I agree.

Big resonant, chimey tone that works well in a mix. Sort of a deeper Ric sound IMO.

They are quirky but I think they are underrated and underpriced basses.
  4. RhinoBass

RhinoBass

I've got a freeted one and would like to get a fretless one too (I've played a couple of them). The only thing I will say is that because of the body design, it is a major neck-diver.
  5. Mal1905

Mal1905

The bass in the photo is actually a B-301, the 302 has two pickups. They're a lovely bass to play, I've got one fretted and one fretless (B-301s) and have been completely satisfied with them in all situations. And, they're a great looking bass ;)
  6. StayinTime

StayinTime

Thanks for the response guys. Thanks for clearing that up for me Mal. Would you be interested in possibly posting some pics of your bass?

I have been looking for any that are up for sale and havent had much luck.
  7. Mal1905

Mal1905

I just called my parents and asked them to take the Guilds out of storage. I really need to start playing them again - I've been suffering from a dose of Fenderitis recently and could do with a change!

They pop up every so often, but wouldn't be commonplace basses.
  8. StayinTime

StayinTime

yes you do need to start playing them again.

I just checked out a demo on youtube by a guy named John Watson. Very cool tone.
  9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I played a B301 for 22 years (fretted) and what they other guys said is true. Great bass but it does have neck dive, a chunky neck, and mine was on the heavy side. Overall, they are a great bass though and you can usually find them pretty cheap.
  10. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

+1

Best review of the B301/B302 I have ever seen. Nothing left for me to say so I'll just post pics.
  11. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

12. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

I've got a nice Guild B302F - been playing it this afternoon through my Lab series L2 amp - roughly the same vintage.

It's a great bass - i'm no fretless player (I've actually been trying to swap this for a fretted one with no luck - and i'm in the UK before you offer) but I recorded some sound samples - have a listen

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/bass/B302F_soundclips.php