Guild B30E

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tybor, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Tybor

Tybor

Hello fellas/ladies. Brand new here. I have what might be a silly question: I have a Guild B30E that my father left to me and I am trying to date it. I have looked at the databases that are out there and I am puzzled. The serial # is AB301480

The info I have found doesn't go any higher than AB301349 which looks like 1997. I also know they discontinued this bass somewhere around there. Should I just assume it's a 1998 or 1999 or had they already discontinued it by then? Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

While I can't help you with the database, this might help. It is my understanding that the B30E was discontinued in late 2001 when Guild production was moved by Fender from Westerly, RI to Corona, California.
    I know my B30E was purchased by the original owner in September of 2001 because I have the original bill of sale. My serial number is AB301519.
    So my guess is yours is also a 2001 model, or perhaps 2000 as I don't know when the store received mine in stock. But certainly one of the last B30Es made by Guild and at the actual Guild factory. I also understand all acoustic basses were discontinued when the Guild production moved to Corona.
    Here is some info from the Guild 2001 price list, which lists the B30E as a current model. If you do a search for Guild 2001 price list you can find the whole list:

B30E 350-4406-...........................................................1999.99
    Acoustic bass 18” wide, 6 ½” deep mahogany body, solid spruce top
    rosewood fretboard 30 ½” scale, deluxe case

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The common on-line Guild dating lists are incredibly inaccurate. Two things to help. First, look inside the instrument at the neck block. Look for a date there.

Second, go to the "Let's Talk Guild" forum and register. Post on there with the serial number. Hans Moust who wrote the only Guild history book is very helpful with accurate dating.

Or, just send the bass to me! :)

John

4. Tybor

Tybor

great info guys, much appreciated! it certainly is a beautiful instrument.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Unlike other acoustics I have owned, the big Guild actually sounds like a bass unplugged. I have no trouble keeping up with a couple of acoustic guitars. It really cuts through.
    It's also ridiculously easy to play, as the short scale makes up for the huge body. Feels much smaller than it's actual size.

7. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I got a line on a nice B30E. I have a couple of more questions before I pull the trigger. First, do you find it hard to deal with the body size? Also, what strings do you recommend?

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I have a 1977 B50 ... the body size and weight (even in the case) is quite a load to handle. Not very comfy to play sitting down, for sure. At 6'2" I have long arms, but can imagine someone on the vertically challenged side having a bit of trouble. I'm currently strung with D'Addario nylon wound strings ... great fundamental thump, little sustain. Records well using just a condenser mic. I have fitted K&K Bass Plus pickup in it and use a K&K preamp ... sounds great amplified.