1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guild Pilot Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da Funk, Jan 16, 2000.

1. Da Funk

Da Funk

I'm just wondering if anybody has any knowledge of the Guild Pilot Bass guitar. I bought one recently so that I could add my own bass when I'm recording.
    How good are Guild Pilots? The clerk where I bought it said it was an $800 guitar. I got it with a hard case for $250 and I'm just wondering if it's a good deal. It's cream colored (it's pretty old) with active pickups (single coil by the bridge and some sort of offset humbucker at the neck).
    Thanks for any info.

------------------
    Da Funk
  2. ironfist

ironfist

The Guild pilot basses were good solid instruments with nice electronics. My old bass teacher had two of them he used during years of gigging. You got yourself a nice bass that should serve it's purpose well.
  3. Player

Player

Depends on the year. If it's actually a Guild, they were nice basses (list about $899). When Guild was aquired by Fender the quality declined. The Pilot is now made by DeArmond (as are a number of the Guild products) and are not near the bass. A new one can be had for $250-300 usd.

------------------
    Paul
  4. Mr Socko

Mr Socko

I bought a Pilot the first year Guild came out with the model, I think about 1986-87. The bass had an active P-J setup. It was the only bolt on bass I owned at the time. I recorded two albums using both the Pilot and a 1978 Koa neck through Mockingbird. The Pilot ended up on a lot of the tracks. I have since sold the bass.
    I would not buy one of the new DeArmond Pilots, although I've read reviews that say their OK, I just don't like them.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

I bought a cream-colored Guild Pilot fretless about 10 years ago when my fretless P-bass was stolen. The neck felt great, and it had a good tone, but I wasn't crazy about the EMG pickups. It was a nice bass, but I sold it and bought a Carvin. Many years later, I was playing at a club and I ran into the guy who bought it from me. He used it for Chili Peppers-type funk and loved it. I'd say you got a good deal.
  6. Mark Gray

Mark Gray

[I recently played a De Armond Pilot 5 string and it seemed to play very well with a good solid sounding low B string. If I were to purchase it I would definitly consider some new electronics like bartollinis or something to give it more power than it has which is all it seemed to be lacking.
  7. sunnboy

sunnboy

Greetings All,
    Just to clarify a couple of points: No Guild products that I'm aware of are made by DeArmond, although several Guild instruments sport DeArmond pickups.
    DeArmond is, in fact, Guilds "import" line and features several top-knotch guitars and basses---the Pilot being one of them. While comparing the two, Guild/DeArmond, I'd be happy to let all of the recent reviews do the talking. The DeArmond Pilot has a lot to offer for a bass that sells on the street, NEW, between $300 and $400. :)
    Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Well, Rich, as I recall, the old Guild Pilots had bodies made out of Maple, while the currend DeArmonds are made out of Agathis. what's the difference between these woods and why the change?

Will C. [​IMG]
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Agathis is readily available in SE Asia(the DeArmond is made in Korea) and is less expensive than maple.. I have a beginner friend who bought the 5, and I must say that if I needed an inexpensive 5 it is the best deal on the market.. could use an electronics and pickup upgrade tho'..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Wheel:
    Well, Rich, as I recall, the old Guild Pilots had bodies made out of Maple, while the currend DeArmonds are made out of Agathis. what's the difference between these woods and why the change?

Will C. [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10. dmaki

dmaki Supporting Member

There is a DeArmond Pilot Pro Bass, which sports a 7-piece maple/walnut neck-thru a mahogany or ash body. It is a 4-string 35" scale (1 5/8" at nut) with passive pickups and an active preamp. If you ask me, it looks pretty cool, plus its inexpensive... Has anyone played it?

------------------
    "Music's what I need to keep my sanity." - 311

11. bassteban

bassteban

Nope. No one has EVER played one of these basses.
  12. LAPetrarca

LAPetrarca

Does it look like this?

Here's mine......my band used to play for their Christmas parties in Westerly and we would get to pick which guitars we wanted to play every year from their demo stock......I played this one for an entire evening and loved it! My wife surprised me with it for Christmas....$400 w/HSC from the factory back in '92.....Great bass!

[​IMG]
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Wow! Zombie thread!!! Eight Years!!!
  14. LAPetrarca

LAPetrarca

Some threads just won't die!
  15. Kemet09

Kemet09

Just doing my part... I just got one the other day! Great joint!!!

[​IMG]
  16. bigbassgonzo

bigbassgonzo

I've owned a lot of instruments in the past, still own some. By FAR one of the most outstanding instruments in memory (or what's left of it) was my Black Guild Pilot 5 String bass. Bought it used in early 1990's for $350 played it into the 2000's had to sell it on hard times, but I will never forget this one. Awsome electronics, sound the rumbled to your soul! I've owned & played many Fenders, MTD's, Spectors, Alembics they all have flaws, none of these basses compares to an original Guild V5. I've even owned another Guild (B305?), didn't really feel it. All of these basses are excellent instruments, don't get me wrong, but if I could find another Pilot I'd pay more for that than an MTD anyday!!!
  17. NoJawRabbit

NoJawRabbit

Ouch, this thread is kind of old!
    I bought a late 1980s Guild Pilot, pre-Fender buyout, and it's pretty much my favorite bass in the world. It's a hefty little beast and it was pretty beat up when I got it, but they fix up beautiful. You should rest assured that you've got your hands on a stellar critter (though I'm sure that seeing as it's been oh, say, 11 years you've already decided on your own whether or not you like it. :) ).
  18. jazzgalore

jazzgalore

I own a black Guild Pilot 4 stringer - got it back in the early 90s. Always loved the action. Seems like there's never been a more perfect neck a n y w h e r e. One thing it lacks, however, is low end. I guess that's because the body just doesn't have enough mass (I also play jazz & jaguar basses). I always wonder when people say it's hefty. To me, it was a joy playing/gigging with it since it's so light. Never weighed it, though. Maybe I should. Oh yea - always have an extra 9 volt battery handy. : )
  19. krustwell

krustwell

TO THE TOP.
  20. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Most underrated and undervalued of any of the great USA made basses. I recently sold my old trusty Guild Pilot SB-602 (original with the pickguard and EMG actives) but it was just a dream.

Neck was great to play, build was exceptional. One of the best production basses of its time ( I say all time) and it was used heavily in the 1980s by:

Ben Orr
    Garry Tallent
    a bunch of other guys
    Me.
    Jaco had one for a while.