1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Guild Pilot truss rod nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tildeslash, Dec 20, 2012.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Where can I buy one?
    I know I use a 1/4 inch truss rod wrench to make adjustments.
    But where can I buy a replacement but that is 1/4 on the outside.

2. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

on the outside? that is an allen wrench. any hardware.

3. tildeslash

Yes allen wrench. How else am I suppose to say it?
    I used a 1/4 inch allen wrench so I suppose the size is 1/4.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Are you looking for an allen key/wrench or the actual nut?

The allen key can be found at most hardware stores. It's a very common tool. :)

If you are looking for a nut you could check out Stewmac or Warmoth. IIRC they sell them as single parts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

If there is an inset the tool is an Allen key.

If it is a traditional nut ala Gibson, the tool is a nut driver. If clearance is an issue, a thin walled nut driver must be ground. An alternative is a thin wall socket. The best alternative is to purchase one of these from Stewart MacDonald.

Unsurprisingly enough, this was discussed in this thread two days ago.

The third type of nut (old school Fender style) is adjusted with a screwdriver. A hollow ground tip is preferable.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The Guild Pilot bass truss rod tool is NOT an Allen key!!! It's a 1/4" hex nut so you need a 1/4" nut driver. The way the Pilot us made however means a regular socket or straight nut driver won't work.

There's a right-angled tool Stewart -MacDonald sells. Do a search in the TalkBass Basses forum for the Guild Pilot club. There's a few posts there from within the last week or so about this, including a link to the tools at Stew/Mac's site.

You can also use a very small 1/4" box wrench, but I found it to be clumsy. Either tool does require you to loosen the middle strings.

I can't link it here from my phone, do do a quick search in basses.

John

8. tildeslash

I already have all the box wrench from Stewmac I need.
    I am looking for the actual nuts.
    Only nuts I see on Allparts or Stewmac or WD is for Gibson and it's 5/16".
    Will that work? Maybe the threads are all the same but the outer diameter is different?

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

SORRY!

Misread the first post (or went through it too quickly without coffee :hyper:)

I don't know what the treads are for it, but I suspect if you went to Lets' Talk Guild at http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/index.php, and registered there you could find not only the correct thread size, but also a source for purchasing a nut. It's the same nut used on all Guild truss rods that I've seen- and I was a Guild dealer for 11 years.

The only ones I see at Stew Mac are the 5/16" 10-32 Gibson ones, and I don't think there's enough room on the Pilot for that big a nut.

You might also try to contact Guild directly or through FMIC (Fender Musical Instrument Company), though I suspect there might be a bit of a wait for response there.

John

10. tildeslash

I went to Let's Talk Guild. No one is talking.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

OK, I just found your post there...

OK, then two more sources...

A. New Hope Guitar Traders (a/k/a The Guild Guy) at http://www.guildguy.com/ Jay's website says he has some parts- please call, fax, or e-mail for specific request. Nice guy (I've bought a couple of things from him, including my Pilot) and very knowledgeable regarding Guilds.

B. Hans Moust- he hangs out on Lets Talk Guild, and he's the man who wrote the book on Guild- litteraly- he wrote a great history of Guild. Plus he's acquired quite a few parts for Guilds. I just got a replacement pickup from him that's period correct for my Starfire 4 guitar for substantially less than having the stock pickup rewound by anyone- and that included shipping from the Netherlands. You can find Hans' e-mail over at LTG.

Good luck, this can be very frustrating!

John

12. tildeslash

Guild Guy has none.
    Emailed Hans and awaiting reply.

13. tildeslash

I got my reply from all qualified people who deals with Guild parts - zip - the truss rod is not to be found anywhere. No one has one and they don't know where to get one.

14. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

The missing data is thread data: What is the diameter and thread per inch (TPI)? Take the instrument to a well stocked hardware store. Try different nuts. When you have the data you know your options. It may be that a Gibson style nut will fit. Maybe not. If worse comes to worst, a machine shop can fabricate a proper nut for a few dollars.