1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guild Starfire II

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TheDialog, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Hello sir,
    So, this morning I snagged a '68 Starfire II.
    I've always loved the tone of it on Debra and when I saw the deal come up I had to swing for it.

Not sure what I'll use it for, but I'm hoping it's a keeper.

I was wondering if you could cite more examples of you live or in the studio using a Starfire?

Hope you're enjoying the end of the year!

(for TB's sake...)
    Proof:
    [​IMG]
  2. tdoody

tdoody Supporting Member

we recorded two albums with a beautiful deep green starfire. scratch in the sky in 1967
    synthesis in 1968 both albums are on columbia records.
  3. TheDialog

I'll look them up.
  4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Anything that's not a P-Bass on Sea Change is a Starfire. Lots more, don't know where to start...will try to think of some and let you know.
  5. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    That's a beautiful bass!! Congrats!!

Other notable Starfire players that I can think of is Hutch from Bonnie Raitt's band, and recently Sheryl Crow, actually. I couldn't tell you what songs specifically to listen to though. Put flats on your guy, plug into something tubey, and play with a pick. You'll learn immediately what to use it for. Tis a glorious sound.
  6. TheDialog

Thanks Dan.
    Tube is my speciality:
    [​IMG]
    And this Alessandro rig comes tomorrow:
    [​IMG]
  7. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Killin!! I'm restoring/cleaning up an early B-15 right now and just borrowed a friend's AMAZING V4B for a few gigs recently, so I'm loving your stuff!! Gotta check out the A.

I got a reissue Starfire and put NOS pickups in it, and it is my new buddy (even if it isn't quite as cool and your and J's.) I think you're going to fall in love with yours.
  8. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Nice grab. I think the Guild Starfire is one of the best basses ever made, really want to get another one, if I find one I can afford.

Used GHS 3060 tapes on mine, and those Hagstrom pickups like tapes or flats.
  9. TheDialog

I hope so!
    Right now I'm playing my go to P (1971) and a Gibson Les Paul Sig (1974) which are both great. Would love to add this to the collection of keepers!
  10. TheDialog

I'll try flats and tapes.
    Thanks for the tip.