Guild Starfire II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by howlin, Jan 3, 2013.

1. howlin

howlin

Just saw this. Can't imagine the pickups will be as good as Darkstars but, who knows . . . ?
  2. Manmower

Manmower

These pickups are a lot hotter than the the original Hagstrom Bi-sonic pickups, which the Darkstars were modeled after. Two different worlds, ut they still sound very cool - at least the ones I've tried, which were in an early 70's Guild Starfire bass. Sounded absolutely fab through an old Ampeg B15. But that bass is more expensive than buying a vintage one, so for my own part I'd never consider it, being somewhat of a vintage geek :)
  3. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Yeah, I've seen these floating around a bit recently, and they seem pretty cool. However, for that price, I'd expect at least the accurate original body shape (flatter across the bottom), the knob on the lower horn near the switch, and I'd have to drop more money to put in dark stars as well. Cool, but I think Guild missed the mark on it.
  4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Jeez, I'd imagine a vintage one could be had for that price.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - crafter of XBass cables
    My '67 in '68... I Agree on the flatter bottom, but I still think think they hit the mark. I'd love to get mine back.

[​IMG]
  7. Manmower

Manmower

Awesome picture! Way, way cooler than the reissues.
  8. chetmz

chetmz

I have played a few of the originals and they certainly have their place in bass "history". I would agree Guild is asking a lot for an instrument that may not give you much payback if you dropped all that coin and weren't thrilled.

By the way, Rainbow Guitar is a great shop. I live in Ct but am in Tucson every year to visit family. I always go in and they are very friendly and the instruments I have played have generally been well set-up.
  9. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

[​IMG]

i dig my '68. but i only paid $1700 for it a few months ago. there was a pair on ebay not so long ago as well. IIRC one was fretless which might be pretty neat. they do seem to be priced on the high side though.

cheers,

-Jeff
  10. Manmower

Manmower

That's not helping my Starfire GAS at all. Time to start saving up! :D
  11. GM60466

GM60466

too much $$
  12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

I thought the used starfire is priced around that?