1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guild X-702 value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nextdimension, Jun 27, 2013.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

This was my first bass ever. I've been told it's a very rare bass made only from 82-83. I've been holding onto it for sentimental value but I really never play it anymore. It plays great, just not really my style. I've been thinking about selling it or trading it but I'm really not sure what its worth. It's got some chipped paint but like I said it plays great and has always been well maintained. Everything is original as far as I know. I got it used about 14 years ago and it had all the wear when I got it.
    Here's some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Teacher

Teacher

Wow, that's a GUILD???
  3. nextdimension

nextdimension

Yep, for a few years they thought they'd tap into the metal scene. But I guess they decided it wasn't their thing. They made some wild stuff though for a minute
  4. nextdimension

nextdimension

Anyone know what this bass might be worth?
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I almost bought a X-702 four years ago that was in excellent + condition. The asking price for it at the time was $850.00 which included the OHSC. You might ask $550.00 for yours and see what kind of response you get. Good luck.

TD
  6. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

GC had one on their used site for $700. It looks to be in excellent condition though.
  7. bb03

bb03

Great basses!

I got one in blue sparkle in 1984.

Here's me and mine, from back then (yeah, crappy quallty...my friend was experimenting with a basement darkroom):

Attached Files:

• tb.jpg
      tb.jpg
      File size:
      542 KB
      Views:
  8. nextdimension

nextdimension

Ha that pictures awesome, thats quite a jump with such a heavy bass!
    So yeah I'm kinda torn, I'm not desperate for the money and it is a cool bass to own. Plus any bass I'd be interested in trading it for would be at least in the $800 range.
    What about getting it re painted? Or would that ruin its vintage quality to not have original paint.
    I think I like the bass enough that I would only sell it if I could get around $800 for it, so maybe it would be cool to get it all fixed up then try an sell it. Any idea how much it would cost to repaint it?
    Oh and it does have a hard gator case to go with it.
  9. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Unfortunately even though Guild basses were all made in the USA back then, like old Peaveys their value is not the same as Fender or Gibson, even though in many ways they are better. In the condition the bass is in, best you could probably get for it, unfortunately, would be about $350.

NJ Guitar and Bass Center has a nearly pristine Guild X-702 in rare turquoise blue sparkle, I think he is asking $799, which means that it will sell somewhere around seven or just under. And again, rare color, pristine condition. With original hard case.

Repainting your bass would not really detract from its value, and may get you more money for it if its well done and in a good color, but you aren't going to increase the value to the $800 level.
  10. connah270

connah270

I dont know what its worth but i'll trade you a 80's guild advanced fire burst pilot bass in excelent condition. Hasen't been used since the late 80's. I once had an x207, liked it and lost it.