Guitar Amp with Bass Cab? the constant Ohm Question.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Zeb_89, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Zeb_89

Zeb_89

So i was thinkin about gettin' an Orange OR15 all tube guitar head (8/16 Ohm) and pair it with a 8x10" bass Cab (4 Ohm)

i've been lookin around on the ol intewebs but i cant seem to get a clear answer

i saw somewhere where they said it was bad for Solid state but Tube/valve amps were ok?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It may effect the sound of your amp, and you may go through tubes faster than otherwise, but running a bit lower on impedance is better than higher with tube amps.

Are there any other low powered tube amps that tickle your fancy? I am not sure a 15 watt amp is going to satisfy on bass.

3. Arjank

Arjank

If you really wanna pair those you should rewire the 8x10 to 16ohms. That 8x10 is probably build with 8ohm drivers, rewire them in parallel-series-series and you get 16ohms ;) Should look something like this (+ = series-wiring):

2x8ohms(parallel) + 2x8ohms(parallel) + 2x8ohms(parallel) + 2x8ohms(parallel) = 16ohms :)

4. Zeb_89

Zeb_89

i dont have the DIY skills to do that unfortunately.

idk i'd just really like to have a Orange Valve Head with a headshell but i cant afford the AD200 or the new 1000 watt beast they're launching.

and i hate the "lunch box" amps...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Seriously, you may want a full tube amp but 15W just isn't going to cut it even through a mighty 8x10. Save your pennies, cents or what ever is where you are until you can get what you really want.

7. Zeb_89

Zeb_89

you're probably right paul.

thanks for all the helpfull comments .

8. Arjank

Arjank

Didn't know it was only 15watts....that's what I would call underpowering a cab if you would pair it wath an 810 :smug:

9. Zeb_89

Zeb_89

yeah you might be right (im still not very confident on my ohm amp knowledge)
    and speaking about 15 watts not being sufficient.
    and this is not to be a smartass or nutin' but i just saw Ashdown has released a 15 watt all valve bass head (Lunch Box) but that has both a 4 and an 8 Ohm cab output.