Guitar amps?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MajorTom, Dec 16, 2013.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom

Is there any reason not to use a guitar amp? I already have several and money is tight so a bass amp is exactly readily available.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Cab is the more important part. You just have to expect it to sound like a guitar not a bass, trying to force bass sound from something for guitar sound is where it breaks, its happy doing what it is supposed to do. You playing with other people? You'll probably need a bass rig if there are two guitarists who are not very very good (like, super rare capable of eqing considering a whole band). Guitar head into a 4x12, and approaching it like guitar when you play and establish a mix will work fine. 4x122s were bass cabs before there was difference between guitar rigs and bass rigs outside cab size.

3. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    You won't hurt the amp. Be careful with any drivers (although a guitar amp will likely not put out enough low end to hurt higher powered drivers).

The first few years I played bass, I ran a full Marshall JCM 900 guitar stack - 100w head into 2 1960 (4x12) cabs. Never hurt a driver. The sound was very NON-traditional for bass, hehehe...

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    You may find that even with the right cabs, that the amps aren't loud enough for a full band. You aren't asking for catastrophic failure by doing that, provided you keep yourself attentive to what the speakers are telling you about how stressed they are. Guitar speakers are somewhat anemic for bass, though. If you must use them, more is better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tooley

tooley

if i new what I know now about what I like. I would have bought a guitar head years ago. I use a super bass & there pretty much the same as a super lead. As theres plenty of plexi reissues I would of looked at them. Dont use guitar cabs thoe youll ruin the speakers pretty quickly. Someone put a video of this happening on a similar thread to this & the speaker started showing strain after a few minutes of playing bass through it.