1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitar/bass tech in Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mgmadian, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mgmadian

mgmadian

Any recommendations or referrals? Looking for someone for repairs, setup, modifications, etc.

Ideally someone who's good in both electronics and woodwork (IME some are relatively better in one or the other).

Thx!
  2. Shovelbone

Shovelbone

I see that you are in Austin. Have you tried Bass Emporium?
  3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Yes, I should have mentioned in the original post. Bass Emporium is a very good retailer, but they don't really get into repairs and modifications.

Looking for folks' experiences with stuff like routing for new pickups, fretjobs, electronics wiring, etc.
  4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I agree about BE and repairs, and John the owner is a friend of mine!
    Oh well, there's a place on S.Lamar around the corner from Ray Henning's that I've heard good things about, although I've also heard they're kinda slow. Anyway, can't remember the name but as I said, it's in the shopping center that Ray's is in.
  5. ggunn

ggunn

That would be Austin Vintage Guitars. They do good work on setups, although I've never had them do any extensive mods. Another place to check out would be South Austin Music, which is just a couple of blocks farther south on the same side of Lamar, next to the Saxon Pub.
  6. Easy8

Easy8

Music Maker's just north of H.O.T. on Lamar does good work.

Sorry, I can't remember the set-up guy's name, but he worked at Ray Hennig's for many years.
  7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Hey, who do all you fellow Austinites play with? I'm with The Eggmen.
  8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

i'm between bands. but you can see me every sunday night at Westlake Baptist Church, if you wanna :)
  9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Don't forget Guitar Resurrection. Mr Erlewine does fine work.
  10. lowbass68

lowbass68

+1 on that. I lived in Austin back when Guitar Rez was in that ol' hole in the wall place on the drag.
  11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Cool! I play Sunday morning and night at First Baptist-Kyle,TX(unless The Eggmen are playing out of town).
  12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    I used to go there ALL the time but since they moved I haven't been to their new place. Chuck still there?
  13. Easy8

Easy8

I'm just getting back into it after a long layoff.

Currently playing with the John Michael Rose Band.

http://www.myspace.com/johnmichaelrose

Peace and Love,

Jackie
  14. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

If Ed Reynolds is still in the Austin area I would find a way to get in touch with him. For years, he was probably the most sought out guy for repairs in Chicago. I would trust him with any bass and any repair or customization work.
  15. telebravo

telebravo

Adding my +1 (2 cents ) on Mr Erlewine. Guitar player has recently had 1978 Les Paul refretted by him; and, it's amazing.
  16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Ed's been recommended to me by a highly-regarded player in the area, and also by my former tech from when I lived in the Bay Area (Steve Crisp), who in turn was a highly-regarded tech in Austin before he moved out to Santa Cruz, CA to work with Rick Turner.

From what I understand, Ed's pretty busy and somewhat $$... curious to see if anyone's worked with him directly.
  17. ggunn

ggunn

Cool. I've seen you guys a few times. Y'all had the ex Bubble Puppy drummer with you for a while, didn't you? You guys have an excellent stage show with the costumes, vintage instruments, and whatnot.

I play with an original band you've probably never heard of - Crystal Flavola. I used to play guitar and trombone with Jumpstart. I also play with a couple of sometimes bands - Runamok! and the Possebilities.
  18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

19. ggunn

ggunn

Wow, is Chip still around? He did some guitar mod work for me back in...when was it... 1972 or so. He was working out of Beaumont back then, I believe.
  20. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

If you're in north Austin you might try Jason's Guitar and Sound in Round Rock. He works out of his garage but has a good little shop in there, and is faster and less expensive than a "real" store like Bass Emp. or Guitar Rez.

http://www.jasonsguitars.com/