1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitar builds

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by shporsche, Jan 23, 2013.

1. shporsche

shporsche

Hi,
    I was just going over roberthabraken latest post for the Paradox build and people were talking about guitar builds.

Is it ok to post a guitar build on Talk bass in the Luthier section?

I personally welcome any instrument build with strings, however I am aware this is a bass forum.

What does everyone else think?
    As I to would like to post guitar builds but I dont want to step on anyone's toes whilst doing so.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You could build a harp for all I care. I would rather follow a guitar build that has great craftsmanship, well written instruction, and gives new and better ways to do something, than a run of the mill P bass body build. Not that I mind reading a P body build thread either, some of those basses come out really nice.
  3. MPU

MPU

I agree. It's nice to read about making of any instrument be it bass or accordion as long as it's well documented.
  4. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Oh well, in that case, here's one I built a few years ago:

[​IMG]

Oops!, sorry Marko, you said well documented, didn't you. I'm afraid this wasn't. It was made in the days before the internet existed. When you had to put film in a camera and then take it to be developed and wait a few days to find out that the photos were out of focus :(. That's why this is a crappy photo. It's a scan of an old postcard sized photo.

But I've no objections to seeing a guitar build here. Although it has to be said that there are other forums where you can find that sort of thing. Do you remember this one of Jeffrey Jones's on the MIMF, Marko? Now that's what I call real craftsmanship.

http://williamjeffreyjonesguitars.com/

[​IMG]
  5. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

That's a good point of view.
  6. wraub

wraub

+1. It's a luthier's forum (mostly), right? The MIMF and TDPRI feature builds of all stripes.

Just build!
    (this said, I am still planning the guitar half-build for my boy...)

wraub
  7. FiskFisk33

FiskFisk33

HA! I'd be all over a well documented accordion build thread!:bassist:
  8. Beej

Beej

Every bass player knows that a "guitar" is just another word for "short-scale piccolo bass", so I say go for it...
  9. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

You could be building a coffee table and I'd still be interested. I love looking at good craftsmanship and all the great ideas people come up with. As longs as I can learn something or get some sort of inspiration I'm interested.

And Dave, I would really love seeing how that accordion were built. Really nice piece of work that one. :)
  10. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

Damn. I wish I had posted my last three 6-string piccolo bass builds, then. Next one.
  11. shporsche

shporsche

haha, I like that.

Great so its fairly open as long as its good content.

I tend to find other forums not as informational as this one, also the users on this forum seem to be very enthusiastic, which helps motivate the build.

I will get my lute build up soon, hehe.
  12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Cool.