1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

guitar cab-- ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

i didn't know whether this belonged here or in the misc. forum...so i put it in both....mods are free to close whichever is in the wrong place....

ok....so i want to build a guitar cabinet for my son....his head has a switch that allows 4, 8, or 16 ohms to be selected....

here are my choices:

two 8 ohm speakers in parallel for a four ohm load

two 8 ohm speakers in series for a 16 ohm load

two 16 ohm speakers in parallel for an 8 ohm load

which should i choose and why....or does it matter....for reasons of sounding better or for any other reason.

thanks

[​IMG]
  2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

There are also several problems associated with building your own cabinets and this page (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/cabinets-building-your-own-how-why-pros-cons-166257/) includes many things you should read about if you're considering building a cabinet.

None of the impedences sound different tonally.
    Generally a lower impedance allows more power to be transferred, and you'd have to pick the speakers that can handle it. If it will be the only cabinet, not combined with another that is, i'd go with 4 ohms. And besides, you could rewire it in the future so it could work with other cabinets anyways.

I'm no expert on this matter, however, and what I know was amassed from reading. The search button is your friend!