Guitar Center FSR Fender Precision 60th Anniversary Burst Role Call

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    There is a great thread here about the 60th Anniversary Precision (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-60th-anniversary-precision-bass-786910/).

I have recently come to own a beautiful burst version available only through Guitar Center as an FSR (Fender Special Run). They were a very limited run - a conversation with Fender has led me to understand that only 125 were made. This is a rare bird indeed.

I wanted to put together a group here to see how many of the 125 are owned by Talkbassers ...

From Fender:
    Model Name: FSR 60th Anniversary Precision Bass® for GC
    Model Number: 017-6002-(703)
    Series: Limited Anniversary Edition
    Body: Ash
    Neck: Graphite Reinforced Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34” (863.6 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Fender®/Hipshot® Vintage Keys with Tapered Shafts
    Bridge: HMV, High Mass Vintage, (Strings-Thru-Body or Top-Load)
    Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
    Pickups: 1 Custom Vintage ‘59 Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid)
    Pickup Switching: None
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Colors: (703) 2-Color Sunburst,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Strings: Fender USA NPS, Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .105
    Unique Features: "Thin-Skin" Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish,
    60th Anniversary Neckplate,
    Stealth “A” String Retainer,
    ‘51 P Bass® Control Plate,
    HMV Bridge with Chromed Brass Saddles and Black Plate, and Chromed Steel Base Plate,
    Knurled Chrome Tele® Control Knobs,
    Fender Spaghetti Logo,
    PosiflexTM Graphite Neck Support Rods,
    Rounded Body Shape,
    Rolled Fingerboard Edges,
    Black Dot Position Inlays,
    Side Mounted Output Jack,
    Synthetic Bone Nut
    Source: U.S.
    Accessories: Fender/SKB® Case, Cable, Strap, Polishing Cloth
    U.S. MSRP: $1,999.99
    INTRODUCED: 5/2011
    DISCONTINUED:
    DISCONTINUED COLORS:
    COMMENTS: FSR for GC in 2-Color Sunburst,...released in 5/2011, about 125 were made.
    Uses Case P/N 0074249000
    WRENCH SIZES: Truss Rod Adjustment “T” Wrench, (3/16" Hex), P/N 0048693000,
    Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, (1/16" Hex), P/N 0021109000,
    Intonation Adjustment Wrench, (7/64” Hex), P/N 0076157000
    Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    IMG_9591 by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr
  2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Here's mine. Before and After vintage neck tint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  4. mojomike001

mojomike001

I can account for one of these beauties.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    We now have accounted for 2.4% of all of them.
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Since you're the club founder, the onus is on you to do some research! ;) I know there are more here on TB. I'll bet if you check out the other 60th Anniv. thread, you could find some more of the burst owners.

I bought mine used from another TB'er, so there might be a few others that have changed hands.

(I'll bet the Shuttlemax/Mesa rig sounds great too!)
  9. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

<<
    I (sorta) joined the 60th Anniversary P club about six months ago. I picked up a stripped tobacco sunburst 60th Anniversary P body cheap off of eBay. I was surprised I was able to get it for $250 as it was lightweight and had the most gorgeous swamp ash grain pattern underneath that super cool nitro finish which looks almost like a three color 'burst with a slight strip of red between the the black/brown and yellow/amber. Nobody else bid on it?!?!?! I happened to have a Fender "Original" '62 reissue Precision pickup and a vintage correct pre-CBS style wiring harness on hand ... both of which were just waiting for a home as well as a Fender high mass bridge that I got used off TalkBass. It took a while to find a USA made control plate with holes big enough for the larger shafts on USA made 250K CTS pots as most of the ones available are for Japanese reissue '51 and Sting Ps and only fit the smaller pot shafts that those basses employ. The real trick was finding a pickguard as the 60th Anniversary P uses a '51 P/TeleBass style one only shaped for a rounded neck pocket. I tried to get one directly from Fender and went as far as to talk to someone from Fender who gave me a verbal OK that they'd sell me one, but I guess he got overruled or something. I then sent out some inquiries to various parts makers on the 'net and got mostly responses of NO or send us a template for what I wanted and they'd make me a custom one for a small fortune. I would've opted to just go without a pickguard as it has one of the nicest grain/finish combinations I've ever seen if it weren't for that stupid CNC rout. Lucky for me, Jeannie Pickguards had a template for the 60th Anniversary P pickguard so I had them make me a three ply white/black/white one (which I thought would look better than the stock black) and am happy with the results of that decision. I was originally going to put a very chunky, 50's style V contour maple/rosewood USA Custom Guitars Tele headstock P neck on it until I ran into a great eBay deal on a killer 2008 Fender American Standard maple/maple P neck (just like what would come stock on it ... short of that little A string retainer do-hicky/thing-a-ma-jig) for $325. And, of course, I had to put a vintage style thumb rest on it just cuz. It's a hack job FrankenFender like many of my basses, but a real winner ... me likey.
    >>

The above is a reprint of a prior posting I did regarding my Franken60thAnniversary P. Though I got it off of eBay, the seller was a TalkBasser and was simultaneously selling it on this forum so I guess you could sorta say that it's a TalkBass FSR 60th Anniversary P. I have since acquired an authentic 60th anniversary neck plate for it.

<<
    Pickups: 1 Custom Vintage &#8216;59 Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid)
    >>

I was under the impression that the 60th Anniversary Ps came stock with an "Original" '62 RI pickup like on the AVRI '62 Ps. Did only the GC sunburst FSR ones come with the FCS '59 P pickup? No biggie for me as I have several basses with each of them and they are very similar to each other and both are excellent.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That looks really nice. How is that done?
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

^ Heck, I don't know. A local tech who I've known for 20 years has a friend who did it. I told him I wanted the neck tint to be as close as possible (color-wise) to the center part of the body. Whatever he did, he nailed it. I like it so much better now.
  12. totem

totem Supporting Member

13. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Great shot. Is that Chicago?
  14. totem

totem Supporting Member

Chicago would be fun, but actually it's downtown Bellevue, Washington .. just east of Seattle.
  15. penguineman

penguineman

nice looking Basses I'd like to find one eventually.
  16. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I bought my burst brand new at the beginning of 2012. I love this bass. In fact I love it so much I bought another 60th Anniversary P, this time a clean used blonde.

Here is a picture of my burst next to it blonde cousin and Telecaster uncle...

[​IMG]
  17. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

That is a terrific improvement to an already boss bass!
  18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Five down, one hundred and twenty to go...
  19. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Thanks Lowbrow. I love it.

Drummer, looks like we're whittling it down! :D
  20. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

while not personally owned by me, there is one at my local GC in the seattle area. it's beat to hell with a chunk of paint missing from the forearm contour. they've got it marked clearance for the low price of $1100:scowl:
  21. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I got mine for $899. They will go there if u love it.